News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Jassid

Started by scotfly, July 14, 2009, 01:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

Introduced to us by Vincent Marinaro in his book ?A Modern Dry Fly Code? (1950) the Jassid was his attempt at a fly to imitate the many forms of small food that trout take in or on the surface film. A Jassid is a type of Leafhopper and, given its name, it?s no surprise that this fly looks remarkably like one.
It is particularly successful fished near overhanging bankside vegetation, just where a trout would expect such fair to drop his way.
You can tie this in a variety of colours by simply changing the hackle colour. The black shown here is probably the most popular, and for me the most productive.
According to Marinaro?s instructions you should use two hackles, but I find one more than adequate.
Depending on your preference you can tie the hackle in at the head or the tail, I personally prefer at the tail as shown here.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK  - Kamasan B410 #20
THREAD ? Black Gudebrod 10/0
HACKLE ? Black Cock
WING ? Jungle Cock

STEP 1
Attach the thread and wrap to the mid point of the hook shank.

STEP 2
Tie in the hackle, dull side down.

STEP 3
Return the thread to the hook eye, then wrap the hackle and tie off,

STEP 4
With your scissors trim the hackle top and bottom. Leaving only the fibres protruding from the sides.

STEP 5
Prepare the jungle cock feather by stripping the waste fibres away.

STEP 6
Tie the jungle cock on top of the shank. Keep it flat with the body.

STEP 7
Trim the waste, Whipfinish and varnish for the completed fly.

SouthFly

That will definitely catch fish.  Out of interest, where do you source your Gudebrod 10/0 tying thread, it's one of the best but have always struggled to find someone who stocks it.

Clansman

Hi Southfly

you could try here - never used them myself but their prices seem reasonable.

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Gudebrod/BCS-10-0-Fly-Tying-Thread

SouthFly

Thanks, unfortunately they only have yellow.  I see Lakeland also sells, but I understand that Gudebrod have stopped fly tying thread, so it will only be time till it will no longer be available.

scotfly

Quote from: SouthFly on July 14, 2009, 07:37:34 PM
but I understand that Gudebrod have stopped fly tying thread, so it will only be time till it will no longer be available.

That is correct southfly. The stuff I have I bought when I first heard rumours that Gudebrod were not going to make anymore flytying threads.
I see that lakeland still have some colours in stock, a light colour and a black permanent marker is one option to try.
It's also worth considering Gordon Griffiths Sheer 14/0 thread,  http://www.flytyingboutique.com/store/Details.asp?ProdID=52&category=9, or Giorgio Benecchi 12/0. http://www.flytek.co.uk/acatalog/Threads_Flosses_Wires_and_Weights.html

Go To Front Page