News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Shipman's Buzzer

Started by scotfly, July 16, 2009, 01:03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

If there was such a thing as a list of super-flies for Stillwater fishing, the Shipman?s Buzzer, originated by Dave Shipman, would undoubtedly be near or at the top. It?s very easy to tie, very durable and most important of all, deadly. I don?t think there is or ever will be a better hatching buzzer pattern. Simply match the colour to the naturals on the water, treat it to float, cast it in the vicinity of rising fish and hang on!

Instructions assume right-handed tyers.

HOOK ? Kamasan B170 #12
THREAD ? Red 8/0 UNI
BREATHERS - White Glo-Brite Fluorescent Multi-Yarn (shade No16)
RIB ? Medium Flat Pearl Mylar
BODY ? Red Seal?s Fur.

STEP 1
Attach the thread.

STEP 2
Tie in the breathers extend over the eye and the hook bend.

STEP 3
Tie in the rib.

STEP 4
Apply a pinch of dubbing to the thread. Don?t apply too much, the Shipman?s Buzzer should be quite sparse.

Then wrap to form the body. I take the last turn of thread under the breather, where I will tie the rib off and Whipfinish the fly.

STEP 5
Rib the fly in even turns and tie off

Then Whipfinish and detach the thread.

STEP 6
Varnish the head and trim the breathers to length for the almost completed fly.

STEP 7
The final step is to take a Velcro brush and give the fly a good scrub. This helps to enhance the sparseness and appearance of life.

moffatross

Quote from: DOD DUNBAR on July 16, 2009, 01:15:54 AM
Funny you should mention Dave Shipman and his buzzer
Ihad Dave in my boat during the recent commenwealth championship on Islay on Ballygrant loch and he was a decent guy and a great angler ,very focused and with a bit of local knowledge and his skill managed to win his heat ,good tipper too  :D

I lived near Peterborough for a few years and used to buy tackle at his shop in Whittlesey ... Dave was often about to offer advice. The pattern was brilliant on Grafham and Rutland from the bank even when ice was in the margins and mist was rising from the water in December or teamed with a hopper when drifting down a wind lane in the summer on a drogued boat.

Go To Front Page