News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Camasunary Killer

Started by scotfly, July 17, 2009, 12:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This fly started life as the ?Blue Fly? and was originated by Stephen Johnson of Jedburgh, though there appears to be no mention anywhere of how or who produced the variant here, the Camasuary Killer.
It has a reputation as a great Seatrout and Salmon fly, though I cannot vouch for its effectiveness first hand.
This is the ?Blue Fly?

There are many variations of this fly, the one shown is, I think, the most common one.
As is often the case there is frequently some debate concerning the correct shade of blue for the tail and body. As far as I can ascertain from my research the shade shown here is fairly true to the original.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers.

HOOK ? Kamasan B180 (Low water single salmon) #10
THREAD ? Black UT70
HACKLE- Black Cock
TAIL ? Royal Blue Wool
RIB ? Oval Silver
BODY ? In Two Halves, the First Half Royal Blue Wool, the Second Half Red ?Firebrand? D.F.M. Wool

STEP 1
           Attach the thread and tie in the hackle.

STEP 2
          Tie in the ribbing material. Note I have tied it in so that the tag end is level with the end of the loop eye. This will help fill in the step down at that point.

STEP 3
           Tie in the tail on top of the shank.

STEP 4
           Dub the thread with the blue wool.

Then wrap to form the body.

STEP 5
           Cover the butts of the tail by wrapping the thread over them and back to the middle of the body. Then dub the thread with the red wool.

Again, wrap to form the body.

STEP 6
            Rib the body in even turns. Space your ribbing so that the middle turn of ribbing is in the centre at the junction between the two colours of wool.

STEP 7
           Wrap the hackle and tie off.

STEP 8
           Whipfinish and trim the tail to length.

Then varnish the head for the completed fly.

sandyborthwick

An excellent fly for Seatrout in the Western Isles. The small Salmon over there are also quite partial.

Well worth a space in your box.

I've never seen the all blue but I quite like it - will give a few a wee try.

Thanks for the SBS.

Sandy B.O.

Malcolm

Nice looking fly that. I experimented last year with royal blue - and results were inconclusive. I'll tie up a couple and have a good go with it this year.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

johnny boy

That Blue Fly looks remarkably similar to the Donegal Blue, just the tag as a difference i think.

As for the Camasu, well its my first choice tail fly when searching for silver on a size 10 trout fly.

One of our best known anglers in these parts would almost always start with these two flies on his cast, donegal top and camasu tail.  I think the reason they are so well thought of in the western isles is that most of our fishing is done in lochs and not rivers.

Speaking to a ghillie this week and he said, cant go too big for sea trout or too small for salmon, gotta say i agree.

Pity the loch we fished hadnt had any samlon in it yet, we need rain badly

Go To Front Page