News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rubber Legged Wooly Bugger Cone Head

Started by scotfly, September 13, 2009, 02:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

A while ago a friend sent me a picture from an e-zine, can you tie me some of those he said, not exactly said I, but near enough with what I have. So a few were tied and delivered.
Friday a message came through, those flies are killers! But I?ve just lost the last one, how do you tie them?
So here, especially for ******* is how you do it?.

Instructions Assume right-handed tyers.

HOOK ? Kamasan B800 #10
HEAD ? Wapsi Small Gold Cone Head (3/16?)
THREAD ? Yellow 8/0 UNI-Thread
TAIL ? Olive Grizzly Marabou Bloods (Or ordinary Marabou)
RIB ? Medium Oval Gold Tinsel (Optional)
HACKLE ? Olive Grizzle
BODY ? Yellow Chenille
LEGS ? Tan Rainy?s Round Rubber Legs (medium)
Green Marker Pen

STEP 1
Slide the cone onto the hook as shown.

STEP 2
Prepare two marabou bloods by stripping the waste flue from the stems. (If you don?t have bloods you can use ordinary marabou.)

Then place them together ready for tying in.

Attach the thread and tie the marabou bloods in on top of the hook shank.

STEP 3
Tie in the gold oval for the rib.

STEP 4
Prepare the hackle by stroking the fibres at right angles to the step. You don?t have to do this, but I think the hackle fibres lay slightly better if you do.

Then tie the hackle in by its tip.

STEP 5
Tie in the chenille.

STEP 6
Advance the thread and tie in the legs with figure of eight wraps.

Then advance the thread again and tie in a second pair of legs.

STEP 7
Wrap the chenille in touching turns up to the first pair of legs.

Then hold the legs back and wrap the chenille in front of them.

Continue wrapping the chenille to the head and tie off, repeating the above procedure when you reach the second pair of legs.

STEP 8
Wrap the hackle to the head and tie off. Here I have wrapped the hackle clockwise, each turn going away from me.

STEP 9
Wrap the rib in the opposite direction. Each turn towards me. (Counter ribbing) Tie off, make a few extra turns at the head to secure everything, then whipfinish.

STEP 10
I don?t varnish the head, instead I place a generous amount of Super Glue on the thread using a needle, then I push the cone head onto the thread wraps and hold it there until the Super Glue goes ?off?

You can trim the legs to length and leave as they are, or if you want to make them banded, here?s a simple trick for you, and a lesson learned for me too!

Take one leg and twist it in you fingers, the more you twist the legs the tighter the banding, then holding it twisted, make one stroke of a marker pen the length of the legs. It?s really important to be bold and do it in one stroke, if you try to do more than one stroke this trick won?t work.
Of course you could buy banded legs, but where?s the fun in that?

When you let go of the leg you will be left with a nicely banded leg. Or rather you should be, but as I have just found out, it doesn?t work with a pointed nib pen!
Ooops!......

Repeat the process on each of the legs.
Ooops x?s 4!... Lesson learned.   :roll:

Here?s one I tied earlier using a marker pen with a chisel point.

And the two together for comparison.

The one on the left is tied on a Tiemco 300 #6, the cone is a Wapsi medium gold cone head (7/32?) and the legs are banded with an orange marker pen (chisel point)

Go To Front Page