News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Elk Hair Emerger

Started by scotfly, June 28, 2010, 11:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

I recently did a step by step of Bob Wyatt?s excellent Deer Hair Sedge. Doing it reminded me of a similar and what for me was an equally successful pattern I used to use, the Elk Hair Emerger.
You can tie this pattern in a range of sizes and colours to suit. I found it to be successful as an emerging buzzer and as an emerging sedge.
I used to trim the wing butts and form a ?normal? thread head with this fly, but I now tie it ala Hans Weilenmann?s CDC & Elk style.
As with all patterns of this ilk, treat the wing only with floatant.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers.

HOOK ? Drennan Emerger #16
THREAD ? Yellow UTC70
TAG/RIB ? Fine/ Medium Pearl Mylar Tinsel
BODY ? Seals Fur (50% Fiery Brown and 50% Golden Olive, Blended)
WING/HEAD ? Elk Hair.

STEP 1
Attach the thread and wrap to the bend, catching in the pearl mylar as you go.

STEP 2
Apply the dubbing blend to the thread and wrap to form the body.

STEP 3
You have two options here. You can simply wrap the pearl mylar to rib the body. Or, as I have done here, wrap the pearl mylar for 3 or 4 turns ?round-the-bend.?  Then wrap it back to the body, when you reach the body, open the turns up to form the rib.

STEP 4
Tie in a bunch of elk hair for the wing.

Then whipfinish and detach the thread.

Finally, add a drop of varnish to complete the fly.

Harpo

Great looking fly, Scotfly.

Being new to fly tieing I was wondering if there is any difference between Deer & Elk hair, does one float better or is it used as it's different colour?

Thanks

Stuart

scotfly

Stuart, an elk is a type of deer. I use it a lot because I prefer it's (generally) lighter colour, and it's properties suit winging on smaller flies.
As with all deer hair though, it's properties vary according to what part of the animal it comes from and time of year it was culled, etc.
This is a good basic guide to the properties and suggested uses of the various deer hair types.

http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/articles/current/151/A+Hairs+Difference+-+A+guide+to+tying+flies+with+hair/

Part-time

Nice fly Scotfly, I'll definitely try tying some up and the link about the different deer hair types looks interesting. My cast on the lochs never seems to be without a deer hair fly of some description these days.
Cheers
John

Wildfisher

Quote from: scotfly on June 29, 2010, 12:22:09 AM
I use it a lot because I prefer it's (generally) lighter colour, and it's properties suit winging on smaller flies.

I much prefer elk too. I does not flare nearly so much as deer and is much better for wings

Another great SBS Dennis, thanks for that

Go To Front Page