News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Mataura Emerger

Started by whinging pom, August 23, 2010, 12:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whinging pom

My FIRST STEP (by step)
Blame Buzz he could do this much better. I ' ll use light er dubbing than I like so its easier to see Dont worry about the fibre length as these get trimmed back

I will do the 18 rather than the 28 which you would never see behind my thumbs... however it does make any easy and effective small fly .......more on that  later

Basic materials Dark 8/0 uni (or finer)
quite wide gape hook.
Dubbing which wets( hares ear, pine squirel etc) for this i have used grey rabbit and Mole mixed.. You just need some thing to pull the body into the miniscus.
Three plumes of even lengthed mallard CDC.( I used four on this as two were quite skinny)

The usual start then feed the dubbing on with small pinches of tight skinny wraps, The skinnier the better and the more control you will have! I use about 5 inches of fine dubbing for this.

Wrap it up really close to the eye. Leaving a few inches of dubbing to build up thorax.

This is the shape of the wraps without the dubbing on showing the shape of the thorax to kick the shoulder out.

Build up the thorax then trim any of the long dubbing fibres back to the fly to give it a narrow shape.

Position the CDC and tie in at the postion you would normally whip finnish the head.

pull back the cdc and give about ten wraps at the 'Head' to help push the plume back.

Run a Posting thread around the plume to help set the angle of the plume

Give a few securing wraps and whip finnish ( either varnish thread and whip if you like personally i just leave a few mm tag to stop it unravelling)

Trim the butts of the CDC shoulder at an angle to achieve the right shape.

Cut a few mm back off the cdc plumes  to the length your happy with. I like them quite short

And then tidy up this mess with some scissors .

Cast it upstream in the food lane.... this is the size 28 if you can make it out on the photo I am sure you would have been able to see it in the stream.

Then catch a wee fish with it That little fly will make it look like a giant!

Easy!

Wildfisher

A great contribution WP. Many thanks for that.

sandyborthwick

Nice uncomplicated River Fly WP,

Looks easy to keep track of on the water.

Thanks for sharing.

Sandy B.O.

Harpo

Nice one WP, looks like one I could have a got at, not in size 28 though :shock:

scotty9

I'm afraid I have been left confused by your posts that you weren't sure about doing a SBS, you're far too modest, that was as clear as day - will definitely be tying some of them up!

Part-time

Great SBS WP; very clear to follow. I'll try with a 14 for a start though as anything on a 28 is pushing it for a beginner like me.
Nice to see an SBS going beyond the vice as well :)

Thanks
John

Tim

THanks. Great step by step.

Will give them a try, and another good reason to shoot a mallard next week

Tim

whinging pom

Quote from: Tim on August 23, 2010, 11:53:27 PM
THanks. Great step by step.

Will give them a try, and another good reason to shoot a mallard next week

Tim
Thanks for the kind comments everyone. The guy that showed me the pattern gathers his own CDC and sells it at A$500 per kilo to the japanese. Hopefully your tough scottish Mallards are more robust than the southern nancies down here. If so theres brass in that bum fluff.

As for the 28's its an old partridge pattern (vince marinaro). The numbers all get unrealistic down there, I have some teimco tmc 100's 24's that look smaller gaped but longer shanks, the point is that even on a 20 the fly is still about 1cm tall and is really easy to tie. Once you have mananged a 20- size then tying the 18's seem massive.
I believe from talking to people about the sizes of fly species, like BWO's, iron blues, SDO's and spurwings that upwing flies are smaller for the same species the further north they get , so i would guess it is worth getting your 'eye in' like Buzz and going for smaller flies

Black-Don

Great wee SBS there Pom.

Good on yer, Sport.  :)

Wildfisher

Quote from: whinging pom on August 24, 2010, 12:23:20 AM
Hopefully your tough scottish Mallards are more robust than the southern nancies down here.

It's the Buckfast wot  done it guv   :lol:

Go To Front Page