News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Feather from what?

Started by piscatus absentis, October 27, 2010, 08:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piscatus absentis

A couple of years ago I was given some nicely marked, reddish feathers and thought today they would make something like a Cinnamon and Gold. 

I've put a sample of the feather through the eye of the flee.  Any ideas what it comes from?

Fishtales

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

rabbitangler

Alternatively could be dyed silver mallard

Clan Chief

I would agree with Sandy. Looks like Summer duck

Highlander

QuoteThe terms woodduck, summer duck, and mandarin duck are oftentimes used interchangeably in fly tying texts, most often in the context of the buff colored barred flank feathers. Summer duck is a nickname that has been used for both the mandarin duck and the woodduck, there are in fact two distinct birds behind all these feathers. The woodduck, Aix sponsa, is native to North America while the mandarin duck, Aix galericulata, is native to Asia. The two are closely related biologically, the hens being almost indistinguishable in appearance, but the drakes are quite distinct on the water. However, it is the flank feathers of the drakes that are of great interest to fly tyers. They are so nearly identical that one can easily be used as a substitute for the other in all but the most strict tying recipes.

Cracking feather for winging not much used in UK
Tight Lines

PS On an aside, Admin those little coloured icons on the left of contents look naff.
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Highlander

Quotegot to agree Highlander
What! the cracking winging feather bit or the naff icons
:roll:
both I'll bet
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Malcolm

I think the icons are great. They make unread posts really stand out on the home page. They also show we are Breast Cancer "aware"!
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page