News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Marabou and chenille

Started by dazdidge, January 09, 2011, 07:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazdidge

I am trying to tidy up my materials box and only keep the stuff in it that I intend to use. I have some marabou and chenille of various colours taking up space and can't ever see myself using them again. Question is, can these be (sensibly) used for wild brown patterns? I really have no intention of going back to yellow dancers and cats whiskers.

cheers
daz

Inchlaggan

Montanas work well for the wild brown trout, despite being a favourite of those whose prediliction must not be spoken of.
Marabou for the tail, chenille for the body and wing bud case, hackle to match the body, whatever for the wing buds-
I usually use yellow, or orange with a black body, shades of green and olive for the others.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

Marabou and chenille are just materials same as any other, it's not what you tie with them that matters, it's what you use the result  for.  :D

Robbie

You could use a marabou tail as a variation on most wet flies, something like a Sunburst Kate.  One of Oliver Edward's shrimp patterns uses chenille, i think the ace of spades has a chenille body.

River Chatter

The more variety in your flytying box the better IMO.  I don't discard anything coz you just never know.  I discovered that some chenille I'd picked up eons ago came in useful for bonefish patterns for example.  If you decide to join in with a SWFF stravaig in the future you might just be pleased you hung on to it. And don't forget damsels with marabou are useful for brownies.

dazdidge

Ach well, looks like I need to sort out some better storage
cheers
for the replies
daz

Clan Chief

You could chop up the marabou and use it as a dubbing.

Fishtales

Quote from: Clan Chief on January 09, 2011, 10:16:45 PM
You could chop up the marabou and use it as a dubbing.

No need to chop it, just wind it round the tying thread and wind on.

Pink marabou tail as long as the body, body of pink marabou, mylar rib, long shank 14 hook red tying thread. Pick out the marabou lightly between the tinsel.

Use olive for a damsel nymph.

Use the chenille as a body for a heavier fly to go deeper. Palmer with a hackle for a Wooly Bugger. Wing it Bronze mallard for an Ace of Spades.

I'm sure there are more.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Black-Don

Quote from: daz on January 09, 2011, 09:30:24 PM
Ach well, looks like I need to sort out some better storage
cheers
for the replies
daz

Daz,

Have a look at this thread http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=15139.0 or get a Stanley pro Mobile tool chest.

I have 2. One for coarse gear and one for fly tying. I got both of mine for ?20 each. All the space you'll ever need, until next year anyway.  :)

Tweed

My first choice point fly on lochs - simple black pennel with a pearl rib and a pinch of black marabou behind the hackle.  An olive version works in the milder months too.

[attachimg=1]

Andrew

Go To Front Page