News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Hare's Ear Olive Dirty Poly Emerger

Started by Wildfisher, March 25, 2013, 09:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

This is the way I tie  Norm's (Clan Ford)  excellent fly. It's just about the same as Bob Wyatt's  simplified method of tying his DHE.

This one is olive, you can make it any colour you like, use whatever dubbing you like. Black dubbing and hackle are good for lochs.

Hook: Kamasan B100 or similar size 14
Thorax and Abdomen:  Hare's ear
Thread:  Sheer 14/0 grey – I use a strong very thin thread as this helps keep it neat.
Wing Post: White / dun / yellow or pink McFlylon. It's useful to have different post colours
Hackle: dark olive dyed grizzle

Tying this way makes a very neat fly very quickly.

[attachimg=1]
Catch in the thread and take it to the middle of the hook shank. It's important to start the tying there

[attachimg=2]
Tie in the wing post, cut the buts at an angle and tie down. Cutting at an angle avoids a step and makes tying the thorax and abdomen easier and much neater. Note that the post is well away from the eye. This leaves lots of space for the thorax and hackle.

[attachimg=3]
Tie in the hackle.

[attachimg=4]
Generously dub the thread for the thorax.

[attachimg=5]
Working back towards the tapered and tied down cut ends of the post, wind on the thorax dubbing

[attachimg=6]
Now lightly dub the thread and work back round the hook bend forming the abdomen.

[attachimg=7]
With the thread,  rib right back up through the abdomen, then take more open turns through the thorax, right up to the eye.

[attachimg=8]
Wind the hackle from the rear of the throax right up to the eye and tie off. Two turns front and back should be fine if you have a decent quality hackle. Adjust to suit.  It's worth spiraling  the thread back through the hackle then back to the eye before you tie-off. Using  the very fine thread allows you to do this without adding bulk  and it reinforces the hackle against fish teeth.

[attachimg=9]
Trim the wing post to length then clip the hackle underneath. It should look like this from the side

[attachimg=10]
And this from the front

Easy peasy

bushy palmer

Thanks Fred.

Some of these duly getting tied for the river as we speak. :D

Allan Crawford

Wildfisher

One thing  I forgot  to add - it's worth spiraling  the thread back through the hackle then back to the eye before you tie-off. Using  the very fine thread allows you to do this without adding bulk  and it reinforces the hackle against fish teeth.

What I  want in a fly  is something that is quick to tie, is robust and is ready to fish after a few false casts. Zero maintenance.  This is why I don't use CDC unless there no alternative.

Allan Crawford

Thanks again Fred, I forgot to say that is a great step by step!
Your set up is working well.

Wildfisher

I'm sure that as soon as the weather warms up and the fishing starts this will all be relegated to the back burner.  :D

otter

Simple, good solid emerger pattern - thanks for sharing.

ddp712

I wish i could tie flys but will need to keep selling cars on bushy palmers day off so he can keep my fly box full. lol

Wildfisher

Quote from: Darwin on March 26, 2013, 03:11:06 PM
Nice fly Fred :)

The credit should go to Norm, I just ripped off Bob Wyatt's tying method.  :lol:

Go To Front Page