News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Wading boot repair

Started by east wind, October 15, 2013, 11:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

east wind

I have a pair of Simms that seemed indestructible until the felt parted on one boot up to the start of the heel, the felt is in not too bad nick.
My experience in the past with trying to reattach any type of sole has ended in failure. Anyone know of a proven adhesive?
I kind of like these boots.

Mac
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Guddler

I've used good old evostik to re-attach felt soles before and it has lasted well. I think the trick is to make sure both surfaces are completely dry and clean.
I kept the boots inside for a while and dried them out on a radiator then used coarse sandpaper on the underside of the boot to make sure it was good and clean. A liberal coating of evostik to both parts then slapped it together once it had started to go off a little.

Rabmax

Gorilla Glue then duck-tape the sole tight & allow to dry-set.It expands a fair bit so if some spews out the edges you can cut off when dry.Then get some self tapers that are longer than the felt thickness but not long enough to go right throw your boot.Gorilla Glue threads as you screw them in round the edge.Never had a problem with felt soles falling off since i started gluing self tapers into them.I now do this whenever i buy new boots before i start using them.Cheers

Wildfisher

Mac,

as Ali says Evostick works. I glued felt soles back onto a pair of Grey's boots ages ago, worked fine. The most important thing is the surfaces must be spotlessly clean and absolutely bone dry. That  takes a lot of drying time with felt. I left boots and soles in a greenhouse over weeks during sunny summer weather.  I also sealed  both surfaces with glue and allowed it to dry before the final glue job.

east wind

Quote from: admin on October 16, 2013, 09:29:31 PM
The most important thing is the surfaces must be spotlessly clean and absolutely bone dry. That  takes a lot of drying time with felt. I left boots and soles in a greenhouse over weeks during sunny summer weather.  I also sealed  both surfaces with glue and allowed it to dry before the final glue job.

Fred, they are in the boiler room. No rush as I have found an old pair of Bison's kept together with turbo screws that will do for the couple of trips remaining.

Thanks for suggestions, EVO-STIK I have, also bought some Gorilla stuff as it interests me (the expansion factor) Will try out both on a test piece.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Rabmax

I have had them fall off again using Gorilla Glue & Evo-Stick.The only thing thats kept them on long term for me is glued in self tapper screws.I mark where i want them round near the edge with a marked.Then heat a nail with a slightly smaller diameter than the self tappers & burn a little hole on the pen marks.Stick the Gorilla  nozzle in the hole fill with glue the screw self tappers in & Leave to set.I do a lot of nymph fishing & wadding.Everywhere i fish the wadding is horrendous & hard on your wadding boots.I find that felt soles without studs are lethal on wet grass so prefer them with studs anyway.Cheers  :D

Go To Front Page