News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Garden Nymph sbs

Started by scoobyscott, December 28, 2013, 10:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoobyscott

Heres a quick sbs for the Vladi worm. Not really used this but am going to next time I'm out for Grayling as my 'anchor'.
Materials
Hook Kamasan size 8( cant remember the code, longshank streamer)
Thread fl. shell pink UTC140
Weight XL tungsten shrimp or lead
Body Pink condom
Rib nylon/ flouro
[attachimg=1]

Place the hook in vice or use flat jaw pliers to bend the hook to shape, gently.
[attachimg=2]

Now place hook in vice. If using lead wrap it on just now in touching turns in the middle section of the shank. Then start your thread covering the entire shank to provide a base, filling in any gaps over the lead.  Alternatively run on a base of thread then parking it in the centre of the middle section. Glue on the shrimp back and cover up with thread.
Catch in a length of mono, don't be stingy with it at least 6" as you have to get a good grip when ribbing.
[attachimg=3]

[attachimg=4]

On this fly I was mucking about and put in a band of purple with a sharpie marker. Take the condom and cut a section of the rim about 10mm long. Now tie in the condom starting at the eye and bind it down to the bend. Run the thread back to the eye and half hitch. You WILL knock the bobbin.
[attachimg=5]

Now unroll the condom and double it lengthwise and wrap in slightly overlapping turns up and down the length of the hook. Finishing at the eye. Tie off.
[attachimg=6]

Rib the body in open turns 2-3 at a time then pull up hard. This should 'bite' into the latex making the segments more defined. Continue ribbing making he segments wider towards the middle then getting smaller again towards the eye. Tie off, whip finish then varnish the head before cutting of rib and thread. Simples
[attachimg=7]

bushy palmer

Thanks for this- very clear sbs :D

Wildfisher

Only snag is Lakeland Fly Tying has no pink condoms in stock.  :lol:

Wildfisher

I've added this one to the SBS  index

scoobyscott

Neither do Asda's chemist, got told to try ann summers by the old lady behind the counter  :shock:. Apparently Crown condoms are THE ones to use. You know youre getting old when the only reason you need johnnies is for tying flees  :(

bibio1

Quote from: scoobyscott on December 28, 2013, 11:52:46 PM
You know youre getting old when the only reason you need johnnies is for tying flees  :(

Great and and very lifelike. At least I'll now be able to say the only time I've ever used one is for fishing.

Bobfly

Pink condoms I don't have - - - pink balloons I might. Will the fish know the difference?

Wormy like things can be made with silicon sealant which could maybe then be wrapped in pink or reddish stuff. Tied on a leaded nymph hook it might work ???
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

Quote from: Bobfly on December 29, 2013, 02:35:39 PM
Pink condoms I don't have - - - pink balloons I might. Will the fish know the difference?

My guess is they won't give a  ....       :lol:

River Chatter

Nice fly, but think I'll use the latex strips I bought at GAC some years ago.  Besides, I'm pretty sure the Mrs counts the condoms - don't wanna get myself into bother!  :lol:

rannoch raider

Assuming you aren't interested in swimming a real one or are prohibited from doing so by the rules of the water you're on, you could give one of these chaps a dook?

http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/creme-scoundrel-worm-live-4pcs-p-984.html

If that doesn't really sound 'kosher' You could always slice a few flat lengthways strips from the best coloured areas and wind it on to a suitable hook. I reckon that would produce the desired effect. I personally would have no hang ups about doing that.

Go To Front Page