News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

IOBO Humpy Emerger

Started by speydulika, May 31, 2015, 05:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speydulika

A pattern developed by none other than Jack Tucker of Penns.... Pens....Pennsyl.....somewhere in America. I think he might be a vampire actually. He gave the pattern its name because he suggested that he caught so many fish with itt that It Ought to Be Outlawed hence the IOBO. I do love the American sense of the dramatic. The pattern is not that good. Lets face facts no pattern is. I would say however that fished on a very long leader for very spooky fish it performs more than adequately. Where the pattern does win is in its simplicity. It only uses 3 materials and thats if you include the varnish on the head.

Tying Materials

Hook: Whatever you have to hand. I demonstrate on a Drennan Emerger size 20

Thread: Sheer 14/0 black

Body and shuck: 3 or 4 plumes of natural cdc

Tying Method

Step 1: Secure the hook in ghe vice with the point protruding.

Step 2: attach the thread behind the eye.

Step 3: Select suitable cdc plumes and hold them with your non winding hand with the curve on each all going in the same direction.

Step 4: Catch in the plumes just behind the eye with a couple of turns. They may be manipulated into position by carefully dragging them away from the eye and through the thread turns.

Step 5: Wind the thread to the rear of the hook binding down the cdc and trimming off the cdc at the hook bend.

Step 6: Working backwards, wind the cdc around the hook shank binding it down at the bend with the tying thread. Wind the thread in open turns to form a rib.

Step 7: Grasp the now rear facing cdc bunch and pull it forward over the top of the hook shank binding it down at the eye with thread.

Step 8: Whip finish carefully to avoid trapping cdc fibres with tying thread. Apply a very small drop of varnish to the thread only. Take care not to soak the cdc with the varnish.

Opinions vary wildly about whether to and how to treat cdc prior to slinging it out at the fishiess. Personally I dab just the tips of the cdc with Gink. I have debated on numerous occasions whether this is  THE WAY. It is certainly one way that works for me. As regards fishing the pattern I find it an excellent pattern when you are up against extremely finicky trout and grayling that won't particularly look at anything much attached to the end of a very long leader the pattern can be something of a game changer just when you really do need one

Finally, not a picture of Jack Tucker but a picture of my favourite Jack

Sorry folks I couldn't help myself.

Wildfisher

I do like that.  Simplicity in fly patterns really  does it for me.

rannoch raider

Yeah, I can imagine that body with the air trapped in the CDC fibres would be very attractive to fish feeding on emergers. Nice one!

haresear

I like the look of that. It helps that it is an easy tie.

It occurs to me too, that tied a wee bit fatter  and with the plumes trimmed blunt at the eye it might be a good beetle suggestion for the smaller ones.  I'll have a tinker...

Alex
Protect the edge.

Fishtales

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Go To Front Page