News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Hi-Vis Dirty Poly Emerger

Started by Wildfisher, June 05, 2015, 12:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

This is the way I tie these flies.

This fly is as effective as a DHE or Klinkhamer but floats better and is easier to see than the DHE and is far easier and quicker to tie than the Klinkhamer.

Hook: Fulling Mill 35060 Czech Nymph Barb-less or similar
Thread: Sheer 14/0 Grey, yellow or olive
Hackle: Red game, olive or grizzle
Abdomen and Thorax: Undyed Hare mask

[attachimg=1]
Take the tread to opposite the hook point

[attachimg=2]
Tie in the post as shown and trim the tied in end, leave the post long at this stage. It makes the tying far easier.

[attachimg=3]
Tie in the hackle and take the thread w...a..y.. round the bend

[attachimg=4]
Lightly dub the abdomen - it must be kept slim

[attachimg=5]
Run the thread back down then back up in open turns to create the slim profile and to reinforce the body

[attachimg=6]
Dub the thorax

[attachimg=7]
Wind on the collar hackle

[attachimg=8]
Trim the post to length and the hackle flush underneath.

That's it. This is not an exhibition fly, it's a quick, easy to tie and effective fishing fly.

When fishing thoroughly soak the abdomen BEFORE applying floatant to the hackle and post. This is very important, you do not want floatant on the abdomen which has to sink.

This fly is bombproof.

Harpo

That's a great fly Fred, I still have some of Norm's hackless ones
One of them caught me my biggest river brownie

Will need to tie some of these

rannoch raider

Nice one. I really like that and not too difficult to tie. I'm going to rattle a few of these out. How do you find it's floatability ?I take it the thorax  and hackle are what keep the fly afloat ?

Wildfisher

Quote from: rannoch raider on June 05, 2015, 04:29:41 PM
How do you find it's floatability ?I take it the thorax  and hackle are what keep the fly afloat ?

Floats well and above all it floats correctly and not on its side like a DHE often does. Keep the abdomen wet and gink the post and hackle

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Mark

I like that a lot. When do you use it Fred, as a general imitation?

Wildfisher

Just anytime there are upwing fies about Mark. It would work for midge pupae too. It's just an easy to tie Klinhamer. It's like an iceberg, most of it is underwater.

You want a long very slim abdomen, the hare mask goes very dark when wet. I also don't think you want to tie them too small although since you are not using deerhair you can make then really tiny if you want. I also tie them with dun Aero Wing.

Getting good hare fur for this can be a pain, you need a mix of spiky mask and softer fur. I bought a good quality  hare mask with ears from Cookshill, cut the fur off with scissors and mixed it in a coffee grinder. I keep it in a ziplock bag. That might seem like a lot of faffing about, but it is the most efficient way to do it. You really don't want to be picking bits of fur off a skin every time you tie a fly.

[attachimg=1]

These are not really "dries", but they are not "wets" either.

They are "damps"   :lol:

loch coulter

Fred, regarding the aero wing, do you just use the one strand?

Tommy.

Wildfisher

Two strands for that size (12) Tommy. You just have to adjust to suit

This one is on a size 10 and uses 3 strands

[attaching=1]

loch coulter

cheers Fred.
              Tommy.

Go To Front Page