News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Peeping And Adjusta Caddis - A Two For One Step By Step Guide

Started by speydulika, July 08, 2015, 01:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speydulika

The Peeping Caddis was developed by none other than the illustrious Hans Van Klinken himself. The pattern does not seem to bask in the same public sunshine as his Klinkhammer which is a great pity because it is an absolute megalith of a pattern for trout and grayling. In this SBS I offer you not one but two ways to tie it for no extra cost cos I love you all (no, no no not that kind of love  ) With the addition of a split lead shot the bug goes down deep and dirty. I originally started fishing it with the sole purpose of dragging down my Czech Nymphs. The fact is however it continues to do for as many grayling as they do. On with it:

Tying Materials

Hook: Any size 8, 10 or 12 that you have to hand. I demonstrate on a Fulling Mill All Purpose Medium size 8.
Thread: Any that suits you. I demonstrate with hot orange.
Weight: A lead free split shot crimped onto monofilament (see below for alternative mounting styles.
Head: A doubled length of No9 Glo Brite floss tied in at the bend.
Hackle: Any English game bird hackle tied in at rear of hook to represent legs.
Body: Very rough and straggly dubbed rabbit, fox squirrel, grey squirrel, mole fur glister dubbing or any combination of whatever you like

Tying Method

Step 1: Secure the hook in the vice with the point protruding.

Step 2: Attach tying thread behind the eye and wind a bed of tying silk.

Step 3: This is the first alternative method of mounting the split shot. Cut a short length of 10lb BS monofilament and burn the end with a cigarette lighter as shown.

Step 4: Whip down the nylon leaving the burnt end protruding at the eye. Wind tying thread behind the nylon bending it at 90 degrees to hook shank. This now provides a 'flying end' on which to crimp a split shot of required size at the waterside.

Step 5: This is the second alternative for mounting the split shot and the original method that HVK suggests should be used for his pattern. Select a split shot and squeeze a little blob of superglue in the split. Crimp the shot onto a length of 6lbs bs monofilament as shown.

Step 6: Whip down the nylon ends to the hook shank. The split should face directly opposite the hook shank.

Step 7: Run tying thread to bend and tie in a doubled length of No9 Glo Brite floss.

Step 8: Wind floss and tie off waste ends.

Step 9: Tie in a game bird hackle. I use English hen partridge.

Step 10: Wind the hackle.

Step 11: Select dubbing material of which pretty much anything will suffice. When dubbed and wound you will have representation of the case of a cased caddis which manufactures its own case using secretions from glands in its body and bits of debris that it collects from river beds. Wind the dubbing to form this case.

Step 12: Whip finish and varnish to complete.

Step 13: If using the previous shot mounting method then the finished bug should look something like this.

Step 14: Apply appropriate removable shot to suit flow of water.

Fishtales

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

corsican dave

Quote from: speydulika on July 08, 2015, 01:15:45 PM
cos I love you all (no, no no not that kind of love  )
that's not what you said the other night... :lol: cracking sbs, btw  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

haresear

It never occurred to me to make the split shot temporary and therefore interchangeable. Good idea :D

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

rannoch raider

Yeah, good idea that.  It'll be very useful to vary the size of shot to suit conditions. Nice one !

Bobfly

~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page