News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Aubergene Is The new Black.........

Started by speydulika, December 17, 2015, 09:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

speydulika

I would for all the world to be able to suggest that this pattern came to me in a 'Eureka Moment' while out fishing and realising that my quarry had its tongue hanging out for just such a pattern. The fact is however that this would be a bare faced lie. Christina from Chevron has a curious way of igniting my curiosity and did so with an aubergine dyed hen saddle. Upon receipt of said cape I tied up this pattern and on my next outing took a couple of fresh fish with it. BOOM get some tied up for yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tying Materials

Hook: Partridge Heavy Double Code P size 6
Thread: Sheer 14/0 black
Tail: 3 sunburst dyed boar bristles
Rear body: Large holographic silver tinsel
Front body@ Black floss or tying thread
Rib: Silver wire
Wing: Tiger stripe dyed zonker (rabbit fur) strip overlaid with 2 doubled strands of fine mother of pearl Krystalflash
Hackle: Aubergine dyed hen saddle
Cheeks: Jungle cock

Tying Method

Step 1: Secure the hook in the vice with the point(s) protruding.

Step 2: Attach tying thread approximately 3/4 the way up hook shank. Wind to form a bed of tying silk.

Step 3: Select 3 sunburst dyed boar bristles.  The bristles when on the pig hide are general straight in shape. We require a seductive curve to them. This may be achieved by running them along the back of a pair of scissors. The more this is done the greater the accentuation of the curve. The fibres should be aligned when tying in so that all3 curve with the same bias. The boar bristles have a dual purpose. They will move in water in their own right and fish love movement. They will also provide support for the very soft and mobile zonker strip when it becomes sodden with water. This support helps prevent hook fouling with the rabbit strip.

Step 4:  Trim the waste ends of the bristles and tie in a length of silver wire. The bound end of the wire should run the full length of the hook shank to prevent humps, lumps and especially bumps.

Step 5: Return the thread to the mid point of the hook shank and tie in a length of large holographic silver tinsel.

Step 6: Wind the tinsel to the rear of the body and return to the mid point of the hook shank. Tie down and trim waste end. Run thread or black flos s to front end of hook.

Step 7: Wind the silver wire in open turns to form rib. Tie down and remove waste end.

Step 8: Select a length of tiger stripe dyed zonker fur. Cut the front end to an acute point as shown.

Step 9: Trim the strip of rabbit skin so that the fur is at your required wing length. Tie in the strip as shown. I would suggest that you do not extend the wing past the boar bristles as when wet the strip fouls the hook points.

Step 10: Overlay the fur with 2 doubled strands of fine mother of pearl Krystalflash. I prefer to make this shorter than the wing.

Step 11: Select  a hackle from an aubergine dyed hen saddle. The hackle length is largely a question of personal choice as is the density of the winding.

Step 12: Tie the hackle in by the tip. Double back the waste end and tie down before trimming waste ends. This will provide security by adding locking turns to the end of the hackle.

Step 13: Wind the hackle by the stalk gently teasing back the hackle barbs as you wind. This has the effect of 'doubling the hackle'. Once your required hackle density is achieved tie down with tying thread and cut away waste end of hackle. Tie down butt with thread.

Step 14: Select a pair of jungle cock nails Strip the fluff from the ends and tie in left and right hand side of wing. As with the hackle double back the waste ends of the stalk and tie in locking turns for extra security to help prevent the nails from going south whilst your beloved salmon fly is going north.

Step 15:  Tidy up the front end of the fly and form a head. At no other time in fly dressing other than this point should the legend ring in your ears 'LESS IS MORE'. A small head is infinitely more desirable than the one that Mother Nature blessed me with.

Step 16: Happy fishing and much success!!!!!!!

corsican dave

aye, you'll be tying patterns for aliens soon enough...... :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Fishtales

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Bobfly

When you look properly most beetle-like insects and other things are not "black" but very dark metallic blue and so on. The new black indeed !!!   :) :)
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

corsican dave

Quote from: Bobfly on December 17, 2015, 03:43:17 PM
When you look properly most beetle-like insects and other things are not "black" but very dark metallic blue and so on. The new black indeed !!!   :) :)

I've been adding a thin veil of dark blue (over black) to the heads of some of my latest streamers. looks good to me. i'll pop one up later.
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

shad

Like the idea of using a little strip of rabbit in that way, will be tying up some similar things in pink and purple for Canada next year.

Go To Front Page