News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

The Black Pennel

Started by scotfly, February 05, 2007, 11:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is a Black Pennel, and a variation of the Black Pennel.This one is good, in the larger sizes for Sea Trout and in the smaller sizes for Trout.

HOOK- Drennan Traditional Wet Fly 8-16
THREAD- Black 8/0
TAIL- Golden Pheasant Tippets     VARIATON- Red and Yellow Marabou
RIB-Silver Oval
BODY- Black pearsals Floss
HACKLE- Black Cock (not genetic)   VARIATON- Black Hen

Some of the steps are the same as the Black Spider. Please refer to it for more detail. http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4493.

STEP I
            Mount the hook in the vice, attach the thread and take approximately 3 turns, then tie in the hackle. You will notice that I have taken fewer turns before tying the hackle in. This is to let you see how I tie the fly, if you want a smaller or larger head, simply adjust the number of turns accordingly.

STEP 2
             Continue wrapping down the body, catching in the rib, under the hook shank, and the tail, on top of the hook shank. To select the tippets for the tail pull out the required number of tippets as shown, then grip by the tip and hold before cutting off. By doing it this way you will keep the tippets aligned.

STEP 3
             Take a piece of floss, or better still, use it straight from the bobbin in a bobbin holder, Wet the end of it and with your first turn of thread back up the body, catch it in on the side of the hook. Then continue wrapping the thread, catching in the waste ends as you go. Finish 2 turns short of the hackle.

STEP 4
             Wrap the floss up the body and tie off, then follow in even turns with the rib.

STEP 5
            Finally, wrap the hackle, form a neat head and whip finish for the completed fly.

Now the variation.
This is an abridged tutorial, refer above for the steps which are repeated

STEP 1
             Prepare the marabou for tying in, there are two ways to do this, the first and most common way is to take your bunch of marabou and roll it between moist fingers.
The second way, the one I prefer because it gives you a smaller tie in point, and head if you are tying in a marabou wing, is to strip the flue from the base of the marabou.
Do this by holding the marabou in one hand and with the finger and thumb of the other hand.

Scrape and pull the flue from the butts of the marabou.

STEP 2
            As with the original pattern, tie in the hackle, wind the thread down the body, catching the rib under the hook shank. But this time catch in the marabou for the tail.
You can either catch them in both together or one at a time, red bottom and yellow top.

You can tear the tail to length now if you wish or leave it until the fly is finished.
To do this, grip the tail where you want it to finish in your right hand, then tear off the waste with your left hand. You can make the tail as long or as short as you like. I prefer mine to be 2 ? 3 times the length of the body.

STEP 3
            Follow steps 3, 4 and 5 in the original to finish the fly.

You can vary the amount of marabou you use in the tail to suit conditions/ personal taste.

Normally I would use less than half the marabou, I tied this one fuller to illustrate that marabou does not need to = bulk, note that there is little difference between the bodies.

johnsd

Great step by step scotfly just the thing for a thicko like me Cheers John
yer going where

Go To Front Page