News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

The Invicta

Started by scotfly, February 15, 2007, 12:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is the Invicta. Invented by James Ogden of Cheltenham as an imitation of a dark sedge. I think one of the finest sedge emergers you can have on your cast, and one which occupies my top dropper at sedge time.
Try not to over-dress this one.
If you are not familiar with tying wings in I suggest you read this step by step first?

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK- Traditional wet fly  10-14
THREAD? Yellow
RIB- Gold Oval (Gold wire in smaller sizes)
TAIL ? Golden Pheasant Topping
BODY- Yellow Seals Fur
HACKLE- Red Game Cock 
FALSE HACKLE (BEARD) - Blue Jay
WING ? Hen Pheasant

STEP I
             Mount the hook in the vice, attach the thread and tie in the hackle. I don?t use Genetic cock for palmers, I think it is too dense and too stiff in the barb.

STEP 2
              As you wind down the body, catch in the rib under the shank

STEP 3
            Followed by the tail, on top of the shank. If you tie the tail in long with a couple of wraps you can then pull it back to length.

STEP 4
              Add a pinch of dubbing to the thread.

Then wrap to form the body. Take the thread one turn past the hackle, this is where you will tie the rib off.

STEP 5               
             Wind the hackle down the body. Some tyers prefer to add a second hackle at the shoulder. I don?t, on this pattern. I take two turns of hackle at the shoulder, then continue to wrap in open turns to the tail.

Use the rib to catch in the hackle.

Then continue the ribbing to where you parked the thread and tie off.

STEP 6
            Pull some fibres out from a Blue Jay feather, aligning the tips as you do so.

Then grip the tips of the aligned fibres and pull from the stem.

Invert the hook and tie these in using a pinch and loop.

STEP 7
              Turn the hook back the ?right? way. Select your wing slips from the Hen Pheasant Tail, one slip from each side.

Then tie in as shown in this thread ?. http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4490.0

STEP 8
           Trim the waste, whip finish and varnish for the completed fly.

As always, check your wing is parallel with the hook shank.

Ian_M

Lovely job.  This is a fly where I tend to run out of hook and it all gets bunched up at the head end.
Interesting that you still tie the wings "up".  Although I tie wings in the "up" style, I tend to tie the Invicta and other sedge flies with the wings down.  Don't think the trout bother either way.
Ian

Wildfisher

Nice one Dennis. I have real problems winging with these pheasant feathers for some reason. Not sure why but it might be they are quite thick at the base

scotfly

Hen Pheasant tails are difficult to work with Fred. As you say the butt end of the fibres are quite thick. The major problem with them is though that the individual feathers don't "marrie" to each other as well as other feathers, similar to mallard and teal. You can if you wish though use hen pheasant wing feathers instead, easier to work with and I doubt the trout will object.

Go To Front Page