News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Upside Down Dun

Started by scotfly, February 23, 2007, 01:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is an Upside Down Dun. Not a style I use often, but when I do it rarely lets me down. The two main advantages with this style of fly, are... The hook point is, theoretically, hidden from the trout?s view and the body/ tails have a more natural curve than flies tied in the normal style. They have one reputed disadvantage ? They are reputed to be poor hookers, I say reputed because I have never found this.
The fly I have tied is an Olive imitation, simply use the appropriate colours to imitate your selected Dun.
This fly is fairly easy to tie, but a little fiddly due to turning the hook a few times.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK ? Partridge Oliver Edwards Emerger, K14ST   #14 ? 20
THREAD ? Olive UTC 70
BODY ? Super Fine Dry Fly Dub (#14 Olive)
HACKLE ? Blue Dun Cock
WING ? Grey Polypropylene Yarn
TAIL ? Microfibetts Tied Outrigger Style.

STEP 1
            Mount the hook upside down in the vice and attach the thread at the point shown.

STEP 2
            Mount the wing with figure of eight wraps, then lift and post the wings. I like to add a very small drop of superglue here to help hold the wings position.

Then cut to length.

STEP 3
            Turn the hook to the ?normal? tying position and dub on a small ball of dubbing at the point shown.

STEP 4
            Mount two Microfibetts, one each side of the dubbing ball. Wrap the thread tight to the dubbing ball which will force the tails into the outrigger position.

STEP 5
           Turn the hook again and dub the body.

STEP 6
             Tie in the hackle.

STEP 7
            Apply another pinch of dubbing and dub the thorax area.

STEP 8
              Wrap the hackle over the dubbed thorax to the eye. Tie off and whip finish.

STEP 9
            Turn the hook once more and trim the hackle fibres from the underside of the fly (top side of the hook)
For the finished fly.

Side view.

Front view

Rear view

lnelson20

Very much enjoy your step by steps Scott,they obviously take a bit of time to post with the photo's.Thank's for taking the time and keep them coming :)

All the best

Chris.
c.nelson

scotfly

Thank you Chris.
The knowledge that they are useful and enjoyed makes the time worthwhile.

lnelson20

These USD flees seem to be gathering a fair bit of interest,i for one will be having a few cast's with them this season having never tried them before.Could they possibly become as popular as the deer hair emerger :shock:

All the best

Chris.
c.nelson

scotfly

Quote from: Ardbeg on February 23, 2007, 03:31:32 AM

Personally, I liked your comment on the Smut flee regarding Wee Bri's quote about using thread for a post statement.  Doesn't matter how good you are, there's always something new to learn.

Cheers

I learn something new every day. I am still a novice in the big scheme of things.

Chris, USD's  are a useful fly to have in your armoury and on their day they can tip the balance,but they don't quite have that something special that only comes along now and again. By something special I mean flys like the DHE or Hans Weilenmann's CDC & Elk etc etc.

Go To Front Page