News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Endrick Spider

Started by scotfly, February 25, 2007, 01:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is the Endrick Spider, like all spider patterns?. Ignore at your peril!!

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK                 ? Wet fly #10-16
SILK                   ? Pearsall?s Orange Silk
UNDERBODY   ? Copper Wire
TAIL                     - Cock Pheasant Centre Tail
RIB                       - Silver Wire
BODY                  - Cock Pheasant Centre Tail
HACKLE             - Grey Partridge

STEP 1
             Mount the hook in the vice, apply a small amount of superglue to the bare shank and over-wrap with fine copper wire. Leave room at either end for the materials to be tied in and for finishing the fly.

STEP 2
            Catch in the silk at the shoulder and over-wrap the body, catching in the wire rib under the body and the tail fibres (about 6 fibres) on top as you go.

STEP 3
            Catch in the body fibres (3 or 4 fibres) and wrap the thread to the shoulder. Apply some varnish to the thread wraps.

STEP 4
              Wind the body over the wet varnish and tie off. Follow with the wire rib and tie off, do not cut the wire, instead hold it up and rotate until it breaks off.

By breaking the wire off you will not be left with the annoying piece sticking up that a cut wire leaves.

STEP 5
              Select and prepare a Grey Partridge hackle for tying in by the tip, by stripping the flue away from the base and stroking the fibres out and down a little.

STEP 6
           Mount the hackle.

STEP 7
             After trimming the waste wrap the hackle, sweep the fibres back with every turn and tie off and trim the waste.

STEP 8
             Whip finish and varnish for the finished fly.

Ian_M

QuoteBy breaking the wire off you will not be left with the annoying piece sticking up that a cut wire leaves.

Great tip, thanks for that.
These step by steps certainly encourage me to tie.
Ian

rabbitangler

Funilly enough, when I first saw the pattern for the endrick spider I was struck by it's similarity with Bert Sharps clyde style March Brown??

Go To Front Page