News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Silver Invicta x2

Started by scotfly, February 26, 2007, 02:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

The step by steps I have done so far have been ones I have previously done on the fly fishing forums. A lot of you will be familiar with those ones, but as there are a few members on here who do not visit the fly fishing forums I felt it OK to repeat them on here. It has always been my intention to do a few that are exclusive to this forum though and whilst there will be more repeats this one is not.

The first Wild Fishing Forum exclusive.
This is a two for one. The Silver Invicta and a variation of the Silver Invicta. In the variation I have introduced a new tying technique to you.
The Silver Invicta is probably one of the best Pin Fry imitations you can put on a cast, it is also very good in a buzzer hatch. Don?t restrict yourself to only using at these times though, it will pull all year round. In larger sizes it is also an excellent Sea Trout fly.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

Part 1 (Silver Invicta)

HOOK ? Wet fly # 6 ? 16
THREAD ? Black UTC 70
RIB ? Silver Wire
TAIL ? Golden Pheasant Crest
BODY ? Flat Silver Tinsel
BODY HACKLE ? Red Game
THROAT HACKLE  - Blue Jay
WING ? Hen Pheasant

STEP 1
           Attach the thread, tie in the hackle then wind the thread toward the bend catching in the rib as you go.

STEP 2
            Tie in the tail on top of the shank. Trim the waste to the same length as the body. This will help you achieve an even under body.

STEP 3
             With the first turn of thread back up the body,catch  in the flat tinsel for the body and continue wrapping the thread towards the shoulder tying down the waste ends of materials as you go. Take the thread one turn past the hackle, this is where you will tie the body off.

STEP 4
            Wrap the body and tie off behind the hackle.

STEP 5
             Wrap the hackle to the tail, then wrap the rib up to the shoulder, securing the hackle as you go.

STEP 6
             Invert the hook and tie in the Blue Jay throat hackle. If you wish you can use a substitute for the Jay. I have no confidence in the substitute on this fly, so always use Jay.

STEP 7
           Select the wing material. With hen pheasant you get your paired wing by cutting the fibres from opposite sides of the same tail feather.

After selecting them, tie them in.

As always check your wings are tied in parallel to the hook. If they are cocked or twisted the fly will not swim correctly.

STEP 8
           Trim the waste and whip finish for the completed fly.

Part 2 (Slim Silver Invicta)

This is the Silver Invicta Variant. A slimmed down version of the original. The new tying technique is using the Tinsel to tie in the materials instead of thread.

HOOK ? Wet Fly 10-16
THREAD ? Black UTC70
RIB ? Silver Wire
BODY ? Flat Silver Wire
TAIL ? Golden Pheasant Crest
THROAT HACKLE ?Blue Jay
WING ? Hen Pheasant.

STEP 1
            Attach the thread at the shoulder only and tie in the flat tinsel.

STEP 2
           Wrap the tinsel to the hook bend catching in the rib, under the hook shank and tail on top of the hook shank as you go.

As before trim the waste to the same length as the body.

Wrap the tinsel to the bend then back up to the shoulder and tie off . Follow with the rib and tie off.

STEP 3
            Invert  the hook and tie in the throat hackle.

STEP 4
            Prepare and tie in the wing, trim the waste, form the head and whip finish for the completed fly.

The two styles side by side.

The advantage of using the tinsel to tie in the tail and rib is to reduce the bulk by not adding thread where it is not needed. This technique is normally associated with Salmon flies, but as you can see it can also be used on trout flies.
You can of course tie this fly using thread to tie in the materials as normal.

Wildfisher

nice one Dennis. This is one of the most successful flies I have ever used. Seldom fails

Go To Front Page