News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Once and Away

Started by scotfly, March 02, 2007, 08:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is just one of the many excellent patterns from Hans Van Klinken.
Hans recommends the Partridge GRS15ST  12 ? 18  for the hook, the nearest I have is the YK12ST. You can also tie it on various other hooks such as the Kamasan B100?s. Totally different hook, giving a different profile to the fly, but still very effective.
The peccary is easier to handle and less prone to breaking if you soak it in warm water before tying in.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK ? Partridge YK12ST #16
THREAD ? Black 14/0 sheer
BODY ? Peccary fibre
THORAX ? Peacock Herl
WING/THORAX COVER ? 4 Natural CDC Feathers.

STEP 1
             Wrap the thread down round the bend, then back to the thorax, catching in the peccary as you return.

STEP 2
             Wrap the peccary to the thorax and tie off.

STEP 3
            Lay 4 CDC feathers on top of each other.

Then tie in on top of the shank.

STEP 4
            Tie in 3 Peacock Herl fibres on top of the shank and wrap the tread to near the eye, covering the waste as you go.

STEP 5
              Twist the Herl into a rope and wrap to form the thorax. Tie off and trim waste.

STEP 6
           Pull the CDC over the thorax. I like to leave a few fibres trailing at this stage.

Then tie down.

STEP 7
            Lift the CDC and make several wraps of thread in front.

This will hold the wing in a more upright position.

STEP 8
            Finally whip finish and trim the wing to length for the completed fly. If you are varnishing the fly make sure none of the varnish penetrates the CDC.

You can use different materials for the body such as striped hackle stalks, striped herl, biots, horse hair, etc,but I do like the peccary

haresear

Scotfly,

I have given up varnishing over CDC, through wasting too many flies. I noticed that you say
QuoteIf you are varnishing the fly
. Does this mean you have found the same thing and have stopped too?

Alex
Protect the edge.

scotfly

No, I almost always varnish, unless I'm doing a soft-head.
If you are having trouble with varnishing the head, put a little varnish on your needle and insert it in the whpfinish loop before pulling it tight.

haresear

QuoteIf you are having trouble with varnishing the head, put a little varnish on your needle and insert it in the whpfinish loop before pulling it tight.

Either that, or drink less, I suppose :lol:

Great tip, Dennis. Thanks.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page