News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Hopper 2 for 1

Started by scotfly, March 07, 2007, 12:58:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

It?s 2 for 1 day. The Hopper and the Bubble Hopper. I have done the Hopper with a cock hackle, if you want to tie the wet version simply follow the instructions, but substitute a hen hackle for the cock. I don?t use genetic cock hackle on my Hoppers, the hopper is meant to be tied sparse, genetic hackle would be too dense?. IMO.
I have tied the standard Hopper black and the Bubble Hopper is the Red Arsed version, but there is no limit to the colours you can tie.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers.

HOOK - Kamasan B170    #12   
THREAD - Black
RIB - medium flat Pearl Mylar
BODY -Black Seals Fur (sparse)
LEGS - Knotted Pheasant Tail
HACKLE - Black Cock (not genetic)

STEP 1
              Mount the hook in the vice, attach and wind on the thread, catch in the rib as you wind towards the bend of the hook

STEP 2
           Add a touch of dubbing to the thread.  .

And wind on too form the body.

STEP 3
            Follow with the rib.

I like to give the body a rub with Velcro at this point.

STEP 4
           Take your hopper legs. In true Blue Peter style here?s some I made earlier. :craz2

Select four legs. I hold them as shown below.

Then slip them under the hook so that two go each side of the thread. I then grip them in this position.

And tie in.

STEP 5
            Tie in the hackle, near side of the hook, shiny (good) side towards you.

STEP 6
            Wind the hackle towards the eye and tie off.

STEP 7
            Finally, form a small head, whipfinish and varnish for the completed fly.

The Bubble Hopper.

HOOK ? Kamasan B170 #12
THREAD ? Black
RIB - medium flat Pearl Mylar
BODY ? Red and Black Seals Fur
BUBBLE ? 2 Natural CDC Feathers
THORAX ? Black Seals Fur
LEGS - Knotted Pheasant Tail

STEP 1
              As STEP 1 above

STEP 2
            Dub the thread. You can dub the red first and wind it on followed by the black, or you can dub both on at the same time, as I have done.

Then wrap to form the two part body.

STEP 3
             Rib the body and tie in the legs as in STEPS 3 and 4 above.

STEP 4
             Tie in two CDC feathers, by their tips on top of the hook shank.

STEP 5
             Dub on another pinch of black seals fur and wrap to form the thorax.

STEP 6
             Pull the 2 CDC feathers over in a loose loop towards the eye and tie down.

STEP 7
            Trim waste, whip finish and varnish for the completed fly.

Both flies side by side for comparison

When tying in the legs it is important to tie them under the shank, I see many with the legs tied on top, that IMO is wrong.

To fish the standard hopper, simply gink up the hackle and fish static or twitch occasionally.
Do not treat the bubble hopper and fish either static or with the occasional twitch, or for something a bit different give it a sharp pull and it will go under the surface then pop back up, on occasions the fish will find this irresistible.

lnelson20

Very nice again Scott,i must say i alway's tie my hoppers with the legs on top,clip the hackle so it sit's low in the surface film :).That's some bunch of legs you have there :shock:do you buy them pre knotted.

All the best

Chris.
c.nelson

scotfly

The fly was originally designed with the legs underneath, they're a trigger point. Also from an aesthetic and biology point of view they should be on the bottom. Think... can you name me a living creature with legs coming out of its back  :lol:
The habit of tying the legs on top was started for purely commercial reasons, it's quicker and easier to tie the legs on top!

Clipping the hackle is good, or you could just use a gel type floatant (Dilly Wax) and treat the top of the hackle.

I tie all my own Hopper and Daddie legs.  :craz2
Switch TV on. Sit with lap tray with Cock Pheasant centre tails and scissors. Watch TV and tie legs at the same time, repeat for several nights (weeks) and you too could have a bunch like mine.  :shock:

lnelson20

Thank's Scott,think i got the idea of the legs on top from Allan,although i couldn't be sure.It's been the topic of discussion here before and i believe there is a differance of opinion.One ties them one way,and one the other :shock:

You must have the patience of a saint tying all those legs,one of the reason's i don't like tying hopper's :D

All the best

Chris.
c.nelson

scotfly

Quote from: lnelson20 on March 07, 2007, 03:26:50 AM
You must have the patience of a saint tying all those legs,one of the reason's i don't like tying hopper's :D

Tie the legs the easy way then. Don't knot them, instead, tie in unknotted legs then crumple them. Simple, effective and the fish don't mind.

lnelson20

Cheer's Dennis,yet another trick of the trade :D

I wonder if it really matters that much..top or bottom,surely if the legs are on top the fish would still see them in sillouette,maybe :? :D

All the best

Chris.
c.nelson

Go To Front Page