News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Brambridge caddis

Started by scotfly, March 07, 2007, 11:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is the Brambridge Caddis, a fairly simple fly to tie and a good introduction to tying small flies.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK- TMC103BL  #21 (Or any light wire hook)
THREAD ? UNI-Thread 8/0
BODY ? Super Fine Dry Fly Dub (#2 Grey)  Or any fine synthetic dubbing or natural such as Mole Fur
WING/HEAD ? Bunch of Cock Pheasant Centre Tail

STEP 1
            Mount the hook in the vice and attach the thread.

STEP 2
            Tie in a small bunch of Pheasant Tail fibres, tips pointing over the eye as shown.
These should be long enough that when folded back they reach a little beyond the hook bend.

STEP 3
             Trim the butts of the Pheasant tail at an angle, then tie down with the thread to leave a tapered body. Then add a small amount of dubbing to the thread.

STEP 4
             Wrap the dubbed thread up to the eye then back to the position shown, this will leave a pronounced head area.

STEP 5
            Fold the Pheasant tail fibres back over the head and body and tie down at the point shown in step 4. Then add a whip finish for the completed fly.

That?s it, as with most small flys the tying is fairly simple.
I always soak flys like this one in ?Water Shed?  when I tie them, allowing them to dry before putting them in the fly box.
You can alter the body colour to suit a variety of  Micro Caddis.

Tim

Named after the Brambridge beat on the Itchen I assume?

Scrounged a wonderful day there a couple of years ago. But it was the Adams for me that day.

Tim

scotfly

sandyborthwick

Looks a great fly, simplest of tyings, great for any beginner. Another great idea keep em comming.

Thanks Sandy B.O.

scotfly

It is a simple fly Sandy, but! watch your proportions. It is very easy to make the wing too long.

sandyborthwick

Thanks for that tip I'll bear that in mind - I think I'll add a few of my vice in different shades to my box.

Sandy B.O.

Go To Front Page