News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Zug Bug

Started by scotfly, March 07, 2007, 05:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is the Zug Bug, or rather my interpretation of Greenwell?s variation. Slightly different than the originators dressing, J. Cliff Zug. His dressing has Peacock Swords for the tail, a flat silver rib, beard hackle and the wing case is lemon woodduck. Originally tied as a caseless/freeswimming caddis imitation it can also be used as a stonefly imitation.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK ? Kamasan B200 # 12
THREAD ? Black
UNDERBODY ? Lead Wire
TAIL ? Peacock Herl
RIB ?  Oval Silver
BODY ? Peacock Herl
WING CASE ? Teal
HACKLE ? Brown Hen

STEP 1
        Apply a drop of superglue to the bare hook shank then wrap with lead wire. Over-Wrap the lead with thread.

STEP 2
Wrap the thread to the hook bend catching in the rib, under the hook shank and the tail on top as you go.

STEP 3
Take the butt ends of the Peacock Herl and fold back, then tie in where the tail starts.

STEP 4
Twist the Herl into a rope and wrap forward to form the body. You can varnish or glue the thread wraps before wrapping for extra durability.

STEP 5
Follow with the rib. For fragile Herl bodies I like to counter-wrap the rib (wrap in the opposite spiral that you wrapped the body)

STEP 6
Take a barred Teal feather and snip the tip off.

Tie this on top at the shoulder of the fly. It should extend for no more than half the length of the body and should lie flat.

STEP 7
Tie in the hackle. I have tied this one in by tip so that it will give a sleeker look to the fly.

STEP 8
Wrap the hackle, tie off, the form a neat head and whipfinish for the completed fly.

Ptinid

Nice fly scotfly.

Quick question though, please, 'coz I'm a pedant at heart!

Where's the greenwell bit in that fly, or am I missing something?

Won't stop me trying it though   :)
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.  ~John Steinbeck

Ptinid

Or is Greenwell someone who has done a variation.

See...showing off my iggorans again!
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.  ~John Steinbeck

scotfly

This is where the Greenwells bit comes from.

Quote from: greenwell on March 06, 2007, 06:30:27 PM
If you're fishing shallows over or alongside weed a useful one to try is a Zug Bug, an American stonefly pattern. It has worked well for me on Threipmuir for many years right from opening day. Fish it on an intermediate or long cast and floater and just inch it along. Dressing is as follows:

Hook: Longshank s.10 or 8
Tails: Three strands peacock herl cut so the herl tips form the tail.
  Body: Three strands peacock herl; don't trim the herls used for the tails, use the remainder for the body.
Rib:    Copper/gold wire.
  Wing cases:  Snip a wee piece from the tip of a teal barred body feather, you should end up with a triangular shaped feather with a bit of stem left to tie in. Tie this flat over the body, stem facing forward towards the eye, which is then trimmed.
Hackle: Red Game wound as a collar fairly sparse in front of the wing cases, form head and finish off.

Depending on the depth of water it's handy to lead a few either with lead wire or copper wire.

It's not a one fish wonder by any means, fish it slowly and confidently and it will get you fish.

Maybe Scotfly could do a step by step on this one, since it's easier to show than describe.

Greenwell

greenwell

Thanks for the step by step. I noticed though that your teal feather was tied in with the tips left intact, in the dressing I got the tips are trimmed suare and the idea is that what you're left with is a triangle of feather which, without the tips is relatively stiff.  The dressing I gave was from a magazine way back in 1987,  I can't remember if it said it was a variation or not so I have always thought my one was as the original. Not that it matters, I actually only tied some because I had at the time a lot of longshank hooks to be used up and it looked okay so ended up in the box. First time I tried it was a day on Threipmuir when the usual black stuff wasn't producing, I was quite surprised to find brownies quite keen on it provided it was fished slow and steady. One of the largest fish I lost on Threipmuir liked this pattern so much it went away with it one cold and snowy April morning, up at the Black Springs, er, I meant next to the Springs. 8)

Greenwell.

scotfly

Quote from: greenwell on March 07, 2007, 09:12:21 PM
I noticed though that your teal feather was tied in with the tips left intact, in the dressing I got the tips are trimmed suare and the idea is that what you're left with is a triangle of feather which, without the tips is relatively stiff.

You're right Greenwell, I didn't read your instructions correctly, apologies.
Re the original dressing. I have, as far as I can ascertain, given the original dressing at the beginning of the post.

Quote from: Ardbeg on March 07, 2007, 10:46:31 PM
Thanks again Dennis, now you're taking requests :shock:  You could be a busy man.

Thank you Ardbeg. Requests, if possible will be done. I reserve the right to artistic licence with difficult patterns though.  :bsflag  :lol:
Oh, and I don't do fully dressed Salmon flies or shrimp flies... shrimp flies are impossible, but anything else is fair game.

Quote from: Sandfly on March 07, 2007, 11:00:49 PM
Similar, the Jersey Herd has a body made from a Gold coloured top from an old style milk bottle. Remember them.

Sorry Sandfly, but the Jersey Herd has a copper coloured body. The Gold bodied version is a common modern mistake. There will be one up shortly, just as soon as I sort out the pics.

Go To Front Page