News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Furry fly, step by step

Started by Hans, March 09, 2007, 04:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans

Another example of the use of Furry Foam, or Body Gills as it is sometimes called as well:

HOOK:          TMC 2312 size 10 to 14
THREAD:        Black Danville's 6/0
BODY:           Creme Furry Foam
Cover:           Brown Furry Foam
RIB:              10 lbs nylon
Thorax:         Black Hares ear plus dubbing, in a loop
Thorax cover: Black Scud Back

scotfly

Another nice one Hans, thank you.
I take it you like furry foam ? I've just received some from America, still to have a play with it though.

Hans

Many years ago Roman Moser gave me a package, just to try... it was called Body gills, and sold by Traun River products.
Up to recently I only used it for nymph-bodies. I began playing with it, and found that the stuff has numerous possibilities.
If you have never used it, this may be helpful: furry foam is glued together back-to-back, with a sort of mesh in between. Usually it's easy to separate the 2 layers, but on other occasions it's next to impossible to do this without damaging the stuff. A few min's in warm water will solve the problem, it will be easy to separate. Let it dry, and use it...
Remember, as it soaks in water, it's not suited for fries....
Cheers, Hans.

scotfly

Thank you Hans. I didn't realise you could split it. Do you always split it, or does it depend on the pattern?

Hans

Yes, I always do, because if you don't, the wee mesh threads will show if you cut it is small strips.
If I want a thicker body I use several layers of the foam to build-up.
Hans.

scotfly

Thanks again. I'll have a play with it now.

Go To Front Page