News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Transparent Minnow

Started by scotfly, March 12, 2007, 12:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is the Transparent Minnow. Like many flies, tied in the appropriate sizes and with appropriate hooks it can be used for Trout or possibly even Pike and would even, I?m sure catch in the salty stuff too.
It?s not a fly (?) I?ve ever fished with, but it is a fun tie and it is also introducing a few new techniques to you.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK ? Dependent on target species
THREAD ? Grey Roman Moser Power Silk
TAIL ? White Marabou with a few strands of Pearl Chrystal Hair over and the Mylar frayed
BACK/BELLY ? Mylar piping
BODY ? Epoxy and Glitter

STEP 1
Cut a length of Mylar piping just over double the length of the hook shank. Then pierce it in the middle with the hook point and pull up to the eye.

STEP 2
Mount the thread at the hook bend and tie in a bunch of white marabou and the Chrystal hair.

STEP 3
Pull the top half of the Mylar piping over to leave a fish shape and tie in at the tail.

STEP 4
Repeat with the bottom half of the Mylar.

STEP 5
Make a whip finish and detach the thread, then fray the ends of the Mylar.

STEP 6
Use a marker pen to colour the back of the fly (fish) I?ve use green here (it was the first pen I laid my hands on), you can use whatever colour represents the bait fish you wish to imitate.

STEP 7
Mix up some epoxy and add some glitter to it. Then with fly (fish) on its side fill the gap.

STEP 8
Place on a ?roto drier? to prevent sagging. If you don?t have a roto drier you can turn it by hand, a laborious job!

STEP 9
Once it has dried, apply eyes to it.

STEP 10
Apply a second coat of epoxy, this time clear then return to the roto drier until the second application is dry.
As you can see, in the larger sizes you can use hackles for the tail.

The one on the bottom right is not completely dry, hence the milky appearance.

I did attempt to show the transparency better, but sadly with my limited photographic knowledge and lack of appropriate equipment?.. I failed miserably. But I think you will get the idea.

scotfly

Quote from: scotfly on March 12, 2007, 12:35:17 AM
It?s not a fly (?) I?ve ever fished with, but it is a fun tie and it is also introducing a few new techniques to you.
Hehe you just look at the pictures then.

Seriously, it's not a fly I'd want hit on the back of the head with  :goog But it's not as heavy as you would imagine. Don't forget the one in the demo is fairly large, you can tie it as small or as slim as you like, just pull the mylar tighter to adjust the size/shape of the "fly" (fish)

Go To Front Page