News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Furry nymph, step by step

Started by Hans, March 12, 2007, 10:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans

Hook:          TMC 3761 #10-16, weighed with a few turns of lead wire (optional)
Thread:        Danville's 6/0, black or matching colour of the thorax
Tail:             Pheasant-tail fibres
body:           Furry Foam, any colour, brown in this case
Rib:              Oval tinsel, silver or gold
Thorax:        Squirrel dubbing (SLF), any colour, olive in this case
Cover:          Pheasant-tail fibres

It's worth to carry a few of these nymphs in various colour combinations, and several sizes.

scotfly

Thank you Hans, I can see I'm going to have fun playing with the furry foam.

Wildfisher

What on earth is furry foam anyway and where does one get it? Furry bunny land?  :D

scotfly

Furry foam, Fred, is, well... Foam that's furry  :lol:
Not available in the Uk (That I could find) I got mine from Kaufmann's Streamborn in the USA.

Hans

It's really great stuff, and above all, very cheap, available in lots of colours.
Think it has been introduced by Roman Moser, the Austrian fly-fisher-tyer. It was called Body Gills in those days, and sold by Traun-river products exclusively than.
Later other companies had it in their catalogue as well.
It comes in a sort of 10x10 cm mat, double layered. The 2 layers are glued together, with a sort of mesh in between. The 2 layers can be split quit easily, especially when wettened.
Cut it into strips of the desired width, and nothing more easy than to form a body with it.
It stretches as well.
If you want some I can provide, will have to look at the cost in my friends shop, and see what colours he has available.
More questions? Feel free to ask....
Cheers, Hans.

Wildfisher

Hans,

Could you take a few phots of it and post them? A nice close up  ~~~~~~~~~~ I am intrigued  :D

Hans

Most certainly Fred. Will have to get me some new from the shop though, all I have left here are bits and pieces. Will see what colours are available, and what the prices are. Will post the pictures later today.
Hans.

Go To Front Page