News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Black and Peacock Spider X3

Started by scotfly, March 15, 2007, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is the Black and Peacock Spider. A deadly fly at times and easy to tie. This is actually 3 step by steps. The first one is the Black and Peacock as most people, including myself, tie it. The second one is the same fly but a different method of tying it. The final one is a modern variation.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers.

HOOK ? Wet fly 10 ? 16 (optional weighting)
THREAD ? Black  8/0
BODY ? Peacock Herl
RIB ? Fine Gold or Copper Wire
HACKLE ? Black hen.

PART 1

STEP 1
           Attach the thread and make two turns of thread , then tie in the hackle. If you struggle with only two turns of thread before the hackle, simply increase to three or four turns.

STEP 2
             Wind the thread to the hook bend, catching in the ribbing wire and the Herl for the body as you go. I have used four herls here for the size of hook I?m using (#12) Use more or less depending on the size of the hook.

STEP 3
             Twist the Herl and the wire together to make a rope.

Then wrap to form the body. Tie of at the shoulder and trim the waste. If you wish you can varnish the body before wrapping the Herl.

STEP 4
              Wrap the hackle and tie off.

STEP 5
             Form a neat head and whip finish for the completed fly.

PART 2

Now the same fly but dressed differently.

STEP 1
          Attach the thread and after four turns tie in one Peacock Herl fibre. Continue wrapping the thread down the body, catching the rib and a further two Peacock Herls,

STEP 2
           Varnish the body, then take one of the herls at the hook bend and wrap, over the wet varnish, to the shoulder, do not tie it off. Hold it in this position.

Now take the first Herl you tied in and use it to catch in the first Herl You wrapped. After catching in the first  Herl you wrapped continue wrapping the other Herl down to the hook bend, again do not tie it off, hold it as shown.

Now use the final Herl to catch in the second Herl, continue wrapping to the shoulder and tie off.

Finally rib the body and trim the butts.

STEP 3
           Tie in the hackle, either in the conventional manner or as I have done here by the tip.
Stroke the fibres to right angle to the stem first.

Then tie in under the hook shank.

STEP 4             Wrap the hackle. With each turn sweep the fibres back, then tie off.

STEP 5
            Finally form a small neat head, whipfinish and varnish for the completed fly.

The method of forming the body here, though a little more complex is none the less still fairly easy. The body formed thus is more translucent than the roped Herl, but it is not as quick to tie nor is it as durable. Which method you use is entirely up to you.

PART 3

This is a variation on the Black and Peacock. The variation being, the addition of a tail. I have used Peach Marabou here, but you can use almost any colour you wish. I also prefer this one weighted.

HOOK ? Wet fly 10 ? 16 (Weighted)
THREAD ? Black  8/0
TAIL ? Peach Marabou
BODY ? Peacock Herl
RIB ? Fine Gold or Copper Wire
HACKLE ? Black hen.

STEP 1
            Apply some superglue to the hook shank and wrap on the requisite number of turns of lead wire.

STEP 2
              Attach the thread and over-wrap the lead wire.

STEP 3
            Tie in the hackle.

STEP 4
            Take a pinch of Marabou and holding it in your left hand, use your right thumb and finger to strip the flue from the butts. This will help to reduce the bulk at the tying in point.

Then tie in on top of the hook shank.

At this point I like to tear, not cut, the marabou to length. Do this by gripping the marabou in you right hand and tear it to length with you left hand. If you cut it you will be left with a square end.

STEP 5
            Tie in the Herls and the rib for the body.

Then, as before, twist the Herls and the rib into a rope and wrap to form the body.

STEP 6
           Finally wrap the hackle as before, tie off, form a neat head and whipfinish and varnish for the completed fly.

All three together. The one in the left is the one with the body formed in PART 2.

lnelson20

A simple but deadly flee which does particularly well on my home water's Dennis,and that's an interesting variation :)

All the best

Chris.
c.nelson

Ian_M

Another fine step by step and an interesting variation, must give it a try.

I sometimes add a fluo green floss tail as per the green tailed Kate.
Ian

Go To Front Page