News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Stimulator

Started by scotfly, March 16, 2007, 01:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is probably my favourite fly for dry fly in the dark on Stillwater, and interestingly is also surprisingly successful during a rise to spent caenis.
The pattern given is one of my favourites along with an all black version.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK - Should be a curved stimulator hook, but I?ve found it makes no difference so I use any long shank hook. Typically the Kamasan B800 in sizes 4 - 16
THREAD - Fire Orange 6/0
PALMER HACKLE -Red Game
RIB - Oval Gold
TAIL ? Bull Elk
BODY ?Dirty Yellow Seals Fur
WING ? Bull Elk
HEAD HACKLE - Grizzle
HEAD/THORAX - Red Seals Fur

STEP 1
Mount the hook in the vice, attach thread and wind to position shown, catching in the rib under the hook shank as you go.

STEP 2
Take a bunch of Bull Elk and after combing out the under-fur, align the tips in a stacker then offer up for length and tie in. The tail on the Stimulator should be quite short.

After tying in, trim the butts to the length of the body and over-wrap with thread. Then add a generous amount of dubbing to the thread.

STEP 3
Wrap the dubbed thread to form the body.

STEP 4
Tie in the hackle.

Then wrap down the body (Palmer) Tie in the hackle by counter wrapping with the rib.

STEP 5
Select a bunch of Elk Hair, comb the under fur and waste then align tips in a stacker (or not if you prefer) Then mount on the shank as shown. Typically the Stimulator wing should reach the end of the body, but for aesthetic reasons I prefer it slightly longer.

Trim the butts at an angle.

STEP 6
Cover the butts with tight wraps. Then tie in the hackle as shown and add a small amount or dubbing to the thread.

STEP 7
Wrap the dubbed thread to form the head area.

STEP 8
Wrap the head hackle in open turns towards the head and tie off.

STEP 9
Trim the waste, whipfinish and varnish for the completed fly.

Although this is a large meaty fly, when you tie it try not to over do it.
When fishing this fly use a stout leader, the takes are more often than not savage and because it is such a large bushy fly, leader twist can be a major problem.
For the black version, simply use a Black hackle, Seals fur and Black Elk Hair, but keep the Grizzle Hackle and Red Seals Fur for the head.

My two favourites side by side. I have tied the Black Stimulator on a Partridge YK12ST

Sodger Muddler

Yes and believe it or not  they can score really well on a bright day pulled on a sinking line at Mayfly time on the big loughs  over here  in Ireland .

SM .

haresear

Scotfly is right about leader twist with this pattern. If you keep the wing low and don't use too much hair, you can alleviate this to an extent.

A bit of background on the Stimmy. It was originally tied to imitate the egg-laying Stoneflies like the Salmonfly and Golden Stone found in the foothills of the Rockies. These are seriously big flies and occur in huge numbers coincideing with the "run-off", or snow melt from the Rockies. I have seen the shucks from these beasties festoonining every available exposed rock. It must be awesome to be there when they are on the water.

Alex

Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page