News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Magic G&H Sedge

Started by scotfly, March 17, 2007, 01:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is a fly I have named the Magic G& H Sedge. It is one of the first flies I came up with after buying the MP magic tool set, I would like to think it is an original, but I?m sure others have  had the same idea as well.  I have given it to a few friends to try and early reports are very encouraging. I have decided to share it with you as a variation on the original G & H sedge. It looks fairly complicated in the step by step, but it isn?t, give it a try I?m sure you will be surprised at how easy it is.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK ? Kamasan B170  # 10- 14
THREAD? Olive UTC70
BODY? 4 - 6 MP CDC Feathers (No4, cream)
UNDERBODY? Green Seals Fur
HACKLE -2 x Red Game
HORNS- Stalks of the 2 Hackles

Before we start the fly we will prepare the CDC for the body first.

Take 5 CDC feather and place them on the large magic tool.

Now, holding the tip and stalk of the CDC?s push them down into the tool. Then cut both ends off with a pair of scissors

Next take the other large clamp and transfer the CDC.

Finally take a pair of scissors and cut the stems off.

Leave the CDC to the side, still in the clamp for the moment and we will now tie the fly.

STEP 1
             Mount the hook in the vice, attach the tread and wind down the body.
Form a dubbing loop, leave this loop sticking out from under the hook shank near the bend. Then throw on a second dubbing loop and leave it at the tail of the body, then wrap the working thread back up towards the eye. You will now be left with one loop sticking out from under the hook shank over the vice head, and one loop hanging down the side of the hook nearest to you and near the bend.

STEP 2
             Take the clamp with CDC you prepared earlier and insert it into the loop on the side of the hook.
    Withdraw the clamp leaving the CDC in the loop.

Then spin the loop to form a dubbing rope.

STEP 3
              Wrap the CDC rope towards the shoulder of the fly, with each turn grip the rope from under the shank with your finger and thumb and firmly draw the fibres upwards.

STEP 4
            When you reach the shoulder of the fly tie the CDC rope off.

STEP 5
           Sweep the CDC fibres up and back then trim to the classic G&H shape.

STEP 6
            Dub some seals fur onto one side of the dubbing loop left at the rear of the hook.

Now spin the loop, which will leave you with a tight and very secure dubbing rope.

STEP 7
             Take the dubbing rope under the body and tie it off at the shoulder.

STEP 8
              Tie in two hackles leaving the stems pointing out over the eye.

Make a couple of figure of eight wraps to separate them and cut to length.

STEP 9
              Wrap the 2 hackles forward, either together, or if you have difficulty doing this, simply wrap them one at a time, and tie off the hackles.

STEP 10
             Trim the waste hackle tips, form a small head, whipfinish and varnish for the completed fly.

Viewed from above

Viewed from below

Now, getting back to the beginning of this step by step. When you have cut all the bits you don?t need when you prepared the CDC you are left with this.

Don?t waste it. Instead strip all the little CDC fibres from the stem and along with the fine tips, cut it up and save, and after a while you will have a nice collection of CDC fibres which you can either, use as a dubbing on its own, or add it to some Hare?s Ear or similar.
Waste not want not.

Hans

Great looking fly, thanks for this one.
Hans.

Go To Front Page