News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Bubble Wing Sedge x2

Started by scotfly, March 25, 2007, 03:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is the Bubble Wing Sedge. A simple, quick to tie but very effective sedge imitation.
You can alter the body colour to suite different sedges.
I have also added a variation with a head hackle.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK ? Kamasan B170   10-16
THREAD ? Brown 8/0
BODY ? Hares Ear
WING - CDC
HORNS ? Bronze Mallard
HEAD ? Hares Ear

STEP 1
            Mount the hook, attach the thread, then wrap down and tie in two CDC feathers on top of the shank with one or two loose turns of thread then pull the CDC through the loose turns into position. Doing this will trap more fibres. Tie off with tight turns.

STEP 2
            Dub some Hare?s Ear onto the thread. Don?t skimp with the dubbing, don?t forget sedges are generally a meaty morsel.

Then wrap to the position shown to form the body.

STEP 3
              Pull the two CDC feathers over the back, leaving them loose to form the bubble...

Tie down and trim the waste before adding the horns to each side of the wing. I use two Mallard fibres for each horn.

STEP 4
             Form either a dubbing loop or a split thread dubbing loop as shown here? http://www.flyforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2296  I have used the split thread method. Insert the Hare?s Ear dubbing into the loop and spin to form a dubbing rope. Note that I have used a high proportion of spiky guard hairs in the dubbing mix.

Then wrap to form the head.

STEP 5
             Finally form a neat head, whipfinish and varnish for the completed fly.

If you want something a little higher riding.

HOOK ? Kamasan B170   10-16
THREAD ? Brown 8/0
BODY ? Hares Ear
WING - CDC
HORNS ? Bronze Mallard
HEAD ? Hares Ear
HEAD HACKLE ? Red Game Cock.

STEP 1
             Follow STEPS 1 ? 3 above

STEP 4
           Tie in the hackle as shown. Then dub the thread with Hare?s Ear. I twist dub this version.

Then wrap the dubbing to form the head.

STEP 5
            Wrap the hackle to the eye and tie off.

STEP 6
             Form a neat head, whipfinish and varnish for the completed fly.

Go To Front Page