News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

C and C Midge

Started by scotfly, March 26, 2007, 05:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is the C&C Midge, one of my most successful dry flys on still and running water. Although this fly is called a midge, I think the design also makes for a useful spinner pattern. Alter the body colour to suit.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK - Partridge K14ST (Oliver Edwards Emerger)
THREAD ? Olive Gudebrod  10/0
BODY ? Any fine Polypropylene Dubbing (colour to suit ) I have used Olive here.
TAIL/WING/THORAX COVER  ? White Niche Siliconised Polypropylene Yarn
HACKLE ? Grizzle Cock (slightly larger than normal)

STEP I
           Mount the hook in the vice, attach silk and catch in the Siliconised yarn at the eye.

Continue wrapping the thread to the point shown, tying down the yarn as you go. You will be left with yarn projecting from both the eye and the bend of the hook.

STEP 2
           Trim the yarn to a short tail then dub the thread with a pinch of dubbing.

STEP 3
          Wind the dubbed thread to cover approximately 2/3 rd?s of the overall length of the fly. Continue wrapping the bare thread to the eye.

STEP 4
           Catch in the grizzle hackle as shown, shiny side towards you.

STEP 5
           Wind the hackle from the head back to the end of the body and tie off.

STEP 6
           Pull the yarn from the eye, over the top of the hackle and tie down at the end of the body..

Then whipfinish at this point being careful not to trap any of the hackle fibres. If you do trap a few fibres you can trim them off later. Trim the wing to the same length as the tail.

STEP 7
Trim the fibres on the underside to complete the fly.

scotfly

It is pretreated Ardberg, you just use it straight from the card. You can use ordinary Poly yarn just the same. I like to be posh  :lol:
The Siliconised yarn is not enough to float it (for long) on its own, you still need to treat the hackle. I use Dilly wax, but don't get any on the body. The advantage, for this fly, with Siliconised yarn is that the wing will still float without further treatment to it and by not treating it you reduce the risk of getting floatant on the body. The tail is too short to float the body, which you want to sink anyway.
You're right this one is a cracker, it has caught, consistently, for me everywhere, still and running water.

Go To Front Page