News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Duck 'n' Dive

Started by scotfly, March 28, 2007, 01:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is a fly of my own called the Duck?n?Dive. A simple bead head nymph with lots of ?life?

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK  - Kamasan B160  12-16
THREAD   -  Roman Moser Power Silk.
BODY   ? Pink or Coral CDC
THORAX  ? Hares ear
BEAD ? 2 mm Gold

STEP 1
After putting the bead on the hook mount it in the vice, then wind the thread down to the point shown.

STEP 2
Tie in one CDC feather and continue wrapping to the bend, then back up to the point shown.

STEP 3
Wrap the CDC feather to form the body and tie off

STEP 4
Bind down the butt of the CDC then tie a loop of well waxed strong thread in on top of the hook with the loop end over the eye(to the right, tie it in with fairly firm wraps, but not too tight. If you tie it too tight you will not be able to pull the loop through later.

STEP 5
Use a needle to make a split thread dubbing loop.

Add some spiky hare?s ear dubbing to the loop

Then spin the bobbin holder to form a dubbing rope.

STEP 6
Wrap the rope to form the thorax. Take it tight up to the Gold Bead.

STEP 7
The following stage is much simpler to perform than it is to describe.
Take hold of the thread and cut it above where you are holding it. Keep the piece you are holding under tension and pass it through the loop and take hold of it with your other hand, still keeping the tension on it.

Now, with a little bit of dexterity, whilst still holding the thread under tension, place your finger or thumb on top of the hook. This is to stop possible damage to the hook in the next stage.

I have removed my thumb here to let you see better. Your thumb/finger should stay on top of the hook during this whole process. These next two stages are done in one continuous movement.

Pull the tag end of the loop so that it pulls the tag end of the thread down into thread wraps.

Then out at the rear (left) of the thorax

Finally, snip off the waste tag for the completed fly.

And that?s it, a nice simple fly that Trout and Grayling find irresistible, usually!!

Go To Front Page