News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Karens Nymph (Fox Squirrel Nymph)

Started by scotfly, March 30, 2007, 12:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is a fly that was introduced to me as the Karen?s Nymph, a favourite pattern of a great friend of mine. It would appear though that it is a Fox Squirrel Nymph. You may call it either name, but as homage to my friend I?m sticking with Karen?s Nymph.  :cool3

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK ? Drennan Wet Fly Supreme #12
THREAD ? Orange 8/0
TAIL  - Bunch of Red Game fibres
BODY ? Red Fox Squirrel Belly Hair
RIB ? One Strand of Orange Twinkle
THORAX  -Red Fox Squirrel Back Hair

STEP 1
Mount the hook in the vice, attach the thread and wrap down the shank catching in the rib as you go.

STEP 2
Tie the tail fibres in on top of the shank.

Before we dub the body, this is what a Red Fox Squirrel pelt looks like. For the body we will be using the belly hair which you can see on the right side of the pelt, it?s a sort of fawny Orange colour. For the thorax we will be using the darker back hairs. Use a dubbing rake to collect the fur, do not cut it off.

STEP 3
Dub the thread with the belly fur, then wrap up to the thorax area.

STEP 4
Wrap the rib in evenly spaced turns and tie off and trim waste.

STEP 5
We are now going to dub the thorax, but before we do that we will tie in a loop of well waxed thread. We are going to use the loop to form what is called a ?soft head?  Firstly tie in the loop (loop to be over the eye) with three or four wraps of firm, but not tight, thread. Now add the dubbing to the thread, notice the spiky guard hairs in the mix.

STEP 6
Wrap the dubbed thread to form the thorax. Take it all the way to the eye, then cut the thread and pass the tag through the loop of thread, all the time keeping the tension on the thread.

STEP 7
Hold the tag of thread under tension and pull the loop through. You will now be left with the tag of thread sticking out of the back of the thorax.

STEP 8
Cut the tag for the completed fly.

When you use a loop like this to make a soft head you pull it through the wax several times to give it a thick coat of wax. The wax acts like a glue, keeping the knot tight.

scotfly

Basically it's a cool way to finish a fly... There's no head on that fly mate, that's so cool, how do you do it?  :lol:
To be honest Bri I don't use it very often, depends on the mood really. I do like the finished appearance of the fly though.
The main reason I do things like this in step by steps is to introduce new techniques, especially techniques that you don't normally see.

scotfly

You could try it if you want, but I've never had one fail on me yet.

Go To Front Page