News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Caenis

Started by scotfly, April 02, 2007, 02:21:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is a simple Caenis pattern.
Before we do the whole thing though we will look at the wing and the tails.
Parts 1 and 2 are not tied to proportion, I have used a larger hook and different thread and materials so that you may see the processes easier.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

Part 1- The wing

To start, attach the thread, then hold the wing across the hook shank as shown. With the thread to the rear (left) of the wing.

Take the thread over the wing at an angle of 45?  to the right as shown.

Then bring the thread back under the shank so that it is now to the front (right) of the wing.

Now take the thread at an angle of 45? to the left as shown.

Then bring the thread which will be behind (left of) the wing under the shank, back to the starting position.

Repeat this procedure two or three times to secure the wings.

The final stage is to lift the wing as shown and cut to length.

This will leave you with a wing that looks like this. Remember though, this in not tied to proportion.

PART 2 ? The Tails

Here you will see how to divide the tails. Again, this is not tied to proportion.
There are several different methods for dividing tails, this is the one I use on this fly.

Tie in three tail fibres on top of the shank.

Take the thread between the middle and far tails as shown.

Then bring it under the hook shank  and between the middle and near tails.

If necessary repeat and you should be left with three split tails like this.

PART 3 ? The Caenis

HOOK - Kamasan B410 size 20
THREAD    - Spider Web
TAIL    - 3 Microfibets
BODY   - White feather Herl
THORAX ? Black Poly dubbing
WING    - Glo-Brite Fluorescent Multiyarn or similar

STEP 1
Mount the hook in the vice, attach the thread, then tie in the wings as shown in PART 1

STEP 2
Wrap the thread to the hook bend catching in and dividing the tails as shown in PART 2

STEP 3
Tie in the Herl for the body. Here I have used 3 strands of bleached and dyed Pheasant Tail Fibres.

STEP 4
Apply a spot or varnish to the thread wraps then wrap the Herls over the wet varnish and tie off just behind the wings.

STEP 5
Use a black marker pen on the thread, then dub on a pinch of dubbing.

STEP 6
Dub the thorax area, figure of eight the dubbing round the wings a few times to fill the whole area with dubbing..

STEP 7
Whip finish and detach the thread, then cut the wings to length for the finished fly. The wings should be roughly the same length as the body.

Viewed from below.

The caenis is a small insect, so dress (the fly) accordingly. Normally I would tie them no larger than a number 16.

The three below, from left to right are tied on TMC 101 #26, Kamasan B410 # 20 and Varivas 2300 #30

When the fish are on the spent caenis, if you watch them you will soon spot the direction and speed the fish are travelling at, once you have done that it is simply a case of putting your fly where the fish will be next. Your casting has to be accurate though, the fish are so close to the surface that they only have a small window and if your fly is not in that window then the fish won?t see it..

Ptinid

Very nice pattern, Scotfly. Been looking for a decent Caenis pattern and that looks like it will fit the bill. Thanks
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.  ~John Steinbeck

Clan Ford

Scot fly wrote:-

Quoteyour fly is not in that window then the fish won?t see it..

I doubt I'd be able to see the size 20 never mind the size 30!  But like you say cast in the general direction of the fish and hope!

Norm 

Richy

Quote from: Ardbeg on April 02, 2007, 11:12:45 PM
I've always found the good old grey duster in size 16 does the job for Caenis. 

Ardbeg

Never leave home without one !!!

All the best

Richy

scotfly

The Stimulator is good in a caenis hatch as is the Bi-Visible. Every one is the same though, when the fish are up feeding on the spents you have to be accurate with your casting.

Richy

Quote from: uncleboo on April 03, 2007, 10:25:28 PM
QuoteBloody plumbers
Pillars of the community and devilishly handsome. :angel;

Snores like an Elephant.....................will never make a Ninja like John Doig and me !!!!

Go To Front Page