News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Blushing and Near Perfect Buzzer

Started by scotfly, May 28, 2007, 10:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

It?s another 2 for 1. This time the Blushing Buzzer and the Near Perfect Buzzer. The Blushing Buzzer is obviously tied to represent a black buzzer. In his book Trout & Salmon Flies of Scotland, Stan Headley describes it as ?death on a hook? I wouldn?t disagree with him! The Near Perfect Buzzer is designed as a close copy of the lighter coloured greyish midge which appears later in the season. Stan describes it as ?extremely effective? I would disagree this time and describe it as ?more death on a hook?
The tying method for both flies is nearly identical. The only differences being in the body and the colour of the hackle.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers.

Blushing Buzzer

HOOK ? Partridge K14ST (Oliver Edwards Emerger)
THREAD ? Black UTC70
BODY -  Two layers of thread well varnished
WING BUDS ? Four strands of Glo-Brite No 8 either side
THORAX ? Two strands of Peacock Herl
HACKLE ? Two turns of Black Hen

STEP 1
Attach the thread and wind down round the bend and back to the thorax. Whipfinish and detach the thread.

STEP 2
Apply two or three coats of varnish to the thread wraps and allow to dry.

STEP 3
Reatach the thread.

Then tie in four strand of Glo-Brite under the shank with figure of eight wraps.

STEP 4
Tie in two strands of Peacock Herl.

Then twist into a rope and wrap towards the eye.

STEP 5
Bring four strand of Glo-Brite up one side and tie off. Repeat with the other side and tie off.

STEP 6
Tie in the black hen hackle.

Then wrap, no more than two turns, and tie off.

STEP 7
Whipfinish and varnish for the completed fly.

The Near Perfect Buzzer

HOOK ? Partridge K14ST (Oliver Edwards Emerger)
THREAD ? Black UTC70
BODY -  Varnished stripped Peacock Quill
WING BUDS ? Four strands of Glo-Brite No 8 either side
THORAX ? Two strands of Peacock Herl
HACKLE ? Two turns of Grey Dun Hen.

STEP 1
Tie in and wrap the quill to form the body, then tie off and whipfinish as above.

STEP 2
Apply two or three coats of varnish to the quill and allow to dry.

STEP 3
Follow STEPS 3,4,5,6 and 7 steps above, substituting Grey Dun Hen for the hackle for the completed fly.

Both Buzzers side by side. Near Perfect on the left and Blushing Buzzer on the right.

I usually form the bodys on several of these first, completing the tying when the varnish has dried.
Don?t forget to allow the varnish to dry between coats.

Ian_M

fantastic ... another great step by step, thanks for that.
don't those wing buds look like jungle cock?
my old fly tying mentor always tied his buzzers with jc cheeks.
Ian

scotfly

Not too dissimilar in colour to Jungle Cock, but much cheaper which appeals to me.
I've always thought that Jungle Cock cheeks on a buzzer was an extravagance. When you see the multitude of materials used in cheeks, pretty much all of them successful, I don't think it makes much difference what you use to the fish. The anglers confidence is another thing altogether though.

Ian_M

Scotfly,

I totally agree with your comments regarding materials.  I do believe however that  the prudent use of fluorescent material in the dressing of some flies can improve the success of that fly.
Ian

scotfly

Quote from: Ian_M on May 29, 2007, 10:35:11 AM
Scotfly,

I totally agree with your comments regarding materials.  I do believe however that  the prudent use of fluorescent material in the dressing of some flies can improve the success of that fly.

Quite agree, but don't forget fluorescent materials stop fluorescing in only a few inches of water.

Go To Front Page