News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Shrouded Buzzer

Started by scotfly, May 30, 2007, 12:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is a pattern of my own, it?s one of a series of flies I have tied on the shrouded theme. I like the appearance of flies given this treatment and more importantly so do the fish. This one is the cream of the crop and was originally tied as an alternative to the suspender buzzer. During the evening ?bulge? when trout are taking buzzer pupa near the top I?ve found this fly has few equals. A few friends have been fishing it for a few years now and all the reports I have had back are good. So time to share. To fish this one, simply gink up the top of the shroud and cast to cruising fish, or alternatively fish with a very slow figure of eight retrieve. Don?t restrict it to the evening bulge though, put it on any time buzzers are present and few times when they aren?t.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers.

HOOK      - Partridge Oliver Edwards Emerger K14ST #14-22
THREAD - Black UTC70 (Or Uni-Thread, or Danville?s, or?..)
BODY      - Black Thread (Varnish or epoxy after ribbing)
RIB           - Fine Pearl Tinsel
THORAX ? 70/30 Mix Clear Antron and Black Seals Fur. After tying in, use Velcro to brush the dubbing so that it shrouds the body.

STEP 1
Attach the thread and wrap down round the bend catching in the rib as you go.

STEP 2
Wrap the thread back up to the shoulder and follow with the rib. Tie off and whipfinish.

STEP 3
Apply several coats of varnish or one coat of epoxy. When the varnish/epoxy has dried reattach the thread.

STEP 4
Prepare the dubbing by mixing approximately 70% clear Antron with 30% black Seals Fur. I do this by hand.

Then dub a generous amount onto the thread.

Then finally wrap to form a bulbous thorax and whipfinish.

STEP 5
To complete the fly, take a Velcro brush and brush the thorax back and up.

The completed fly.

just_steven

That looks like an absolute cracker Scotfly!

Steve

Wildfisher

Nice one Denis – these shaggie type flies often work wonders – pre – chewed!

Go To Front Page