News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Shrouded Damsel

Started by scotfly, May 31, 2007, 09:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is another one in my ?shrouded? series. My local reservoir back up home in Scotland abounds with damsel nymphs. Close examination of the nymphs in the water shows that they have an appearance in the water not unlike translucent wet plastic. (Kinky I know, but I can?t think of a better way to describe it) The shroud on this fly with the varnished body, when wet, is the nearest I have seen to the natural. You can weight this one if you want. I normally tie it on Kamasan B175?s, but it is also effective on Kamasan B830?s, which I have used here.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK        - Kamasan B830 #10
THREAD - Olive UTC 70
TAIL         - Olive Marabou
BODY        - Kreinik Metallics Blending Filament #015, Varnished
THORAX - 70/30 Mix, Clear Antron and Olive Seals Fur, after tying in use Velcro to brush the dubbing so that it shrouds the body.

STEP 1
Attach the thread and wrap to the bend catching in the marabou tail as you go.

STEP 2
Catch in the body material and wrap the thread back to the shoulder. Whipfinish and detach the thread.

STEP 3
Form the body by wrapping several layers of the Kreinik. When you have wrapped the body make a whipfinish and trim the waste.

STEP 4
Apply two or three coats of varnish or one coat of epoxy if you prefer. You will find this easier to do if you wet the marabou with saliva first.

When the varnish/epoxy is dry reattach the thread at the shoulder.

STEP 5
Prepare a mix of approximately 70% clear Antron and 30% olive Seals Fur. I do this by hand.

Apply a generous amount to the thread and wind a bulbous thorax. Then whipfinish and detach the thread.

STEP 6
Using a Velcro brush, brush the thorax so that it shrouds the whole body with some of it blending into the tail.

The finished fly.

Go To Front Page