News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Klod Hopper

Started by scotfly, July 06, 2007, 02:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is a variation I tied for a recent swap on another board of Paul Stimpson's Klod Hopper.
Don?t think I?ll ever fish it, but it was a fun tie.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK ? Kamasan B800 #10
THREAD ?Brown UNI 6/0
BODY ? Yellow Thin Fly Foam 2mm
OVER BODY ? SLF MC25 Caddis Yellow
HACKLE ? Red Game Cock
WING ? Yearling Elk
LEGS ? Tan Rainy?s Round Rubber Legs.

STEP 1
Prepare the body by cutting a strip of ethafoam approximately equal to the gape of the hook.

Then cut a blunt point on it.

STEP 2
Lay a bed of thread on the hook shank, finishing with the thread at the eye.

STEP 3
Tie the body in at the eye of the hook, the point extending beyond the bend. Leave the surplus projecting over the eye, were going to use that later.

Then take the thread in open spirals down to the bend.

STEP 4
Tie the hackle in.

STEP 5
Apply a generous amount of dubbing to the thread.

Then wrap to the point shown.

STEP 6
Wrap the hackle to the end of the over-body and tie off.

STEP 7
Prepare the wing by selecting a clump, cleaning out any under-fur and aligning the tips in a stacker. Then tie in, the tips reaching the end of the body.

STEP 8
Prepare the legs by tying an over-hand knot in each one, then tie one on either side of the fly. Leave the tag end, these will become your front legs. After tying the legs in, pull the front legs out of the way and take the thread to the eye.

STEP 9
Apply another pinch of dubbing to the thread and wrap up to the front legs.

Then pull the front legs forward, I trim them to length at this point, and wrap the dubbing behind the front legs and up to the read legs.

STEP 10
Pull the ethafoam we left over the eye back over the head and tie down immediately in front (to the right) of the wing.

STEP 11
Trim the waste as shown. Then whipfinish and varnish.

To complete the fly you can add eyes using a bullet tip marker pen.

Tie one up, stick it in you hat and see how many people say ?what the hell is that?

haresear

Interesting one Scotfly. I know that Harelug like I, will be eyeing that one up for a certain forthcoming trip.

I tie something similar without the hackle and more crucially, without the folded back foam head. The fold-back method looks much more aerodynamic than the simple flat foam that I've been using.

To the vice....

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page