News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Jungle Cock

Started by sandyborthwick, July 16, 2007, 03:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandyborthwick

Now this is one for you semi-pro tyers out there. I have found that my requirement for flies with the Jungle Cock feathers increasing over the years to the point when purchasing individual feathers is becomming cost prohibitive. On enquiry I have found that I can get Capes from GAC at about ?50.00 but have also noticed capes up for grabs from Ebay in both US and Europe - so folks any advice or experience of any of these will be welcomed. I plan to get at least one cape within the next week somehow so anything you can say will be of great use.

Sandy B.O.

Ian_M

Sandy,

I looked at the JC capes at the GAC just last week, not with the thought of buying one but just out of interest.  I already have several capes which were bought many years ago and these should fill my meagre needs.  I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the capes on display with a good range of feathers. No experience of capes from ebay but I would rather see what I was getting before parting with the cash.

Split feathers can still be used and I "split" the larger feathers so that I can use these.
Ian

sandyborthwick

Thanks for all your advice guys. As it is unlikely that I will be seeing "in the real" any of the JC Capes before I buy I'll have to take my chances(Problem being stuck in SWE). Col have seen Hugo's capes on ebay and may go for one of these - the pics look pretty good and its got to be better than paying 50p a feather down here(?5.00/per ten feathers usually). If I get a crap one Ill try and get one at GAC on my way through to Uist in August - last April they didn't have any in to show me - bit of a long haul to find none in stock real bummer. GAC also seem to usually have a varied number of grades and quality which you can compare from what I understand so it will be good to see what they offer. Thanks for the alternatives too I'll bear these in mind especially the Mallard Blue Slips Breac as this might be just as effective for my purposes - do you have a supplier in mind?

Thanks again Sandy B.O.

just_steven

Hi Sandy,

I bought a cape off of ebay (cant remember who from). It was nothing special when I got it and a lot of the larger feathers were split, but most of the small ones were OK. Then I invested in some floo glue and now even the feathers I wouldn't use are serviceable. From personal reports I would avoid GAC. You will be able to pick up a similar quality cape for a good bit cheaper if you shop around. Angling fairs are a good bet. If you know some salmon fly tyers who have JC you might do a deal for some of the smaller feathers that they don't use. I did this at a local fly tying club and now have some nice patches of green, orange, yellow, red, natuarl and blue! 8) The orange is by far the best looking too.
Good luck with whatever you go for!

Steve

Ian_M

Googled and found this site ...

http://www.reelsndeals.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Jungle_Cock_Capes_477.html#a8754

Each cape seems to have a serial number and you choose from the picture,  Remember that holding the Control key down and hitting the plus key will zoom the window for a closer look.
Ian

sandyborthwick

Thanks for that tip Allan, I fully agree on the colouration this would seem to be a most important factor as far as I am concerned and am quite keen to get the Corn yellow type feather if possible. Split Feathers in my opinion are not too upsetting as they soon end up splitting once you've had a few wildies at them and by the end of an afternoon theres not usually much left anyway! I'll try the tying down tip you suggest as this seems the most logical solution to me. Great advice again from the fonts of knowledge on the Forum.

Cheers, Sandy B.O.

sandyborthwick

No Sure John, probably a bit of all three like the rest of us here!

Sandy B.O.

just_steven

I think that just makes you an Aberdonian!  :lol: :lol:

Steve

Go To Front Page