News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Woodcock and Mixed

Started by scotfly, July 30, 2007, 12:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is the Woodcock and Mixed, a close cousin of the Woodcock and Yellow. It is not as well known or thought of as the Woodcock and Yellow, but it?s one I have used on many occasions quite successfully.
I have tied this as a ?wee double? At one time the wee double was much favoured among Scottish anglers, but I think mainly because of issues with catch and release, it is now a rarely used style fly.
In larger sizes this is also a useful Seatrout fly.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK - #16 Double ? 10 Single
THREAD ? Black 6/0
TAIL ? Golden Pheasant Tippets
RIB ? Fine Gold (or silver) Oval
BODY ? 50% Yellow and 50% Red Seals Fur
HACKLE ? Brown Hen
WINGS ? Woodcock.

STEP 1
Attach the thread and wrap toward the bend of the hook. Catch the rib in, under the hook shank, as you go.

STEP 2
Tie in a small bunch of Tippets for the tail on top of the shank.

STEP 3
Apply a pinch of yellow seals fur to the thread and wrap to form the first half of the body.

STEP 4
Apply a pinch of red seals fur and wrap to form the second half of the body.

STEP 5
Wrap the rib in even turns and tie of at the shoulder. When I tie flys like this with two or more colours in the body I like to make sure that one of the turns of rib crosses the junction of colours.

STEP 6
Tie in the hackle.

Then make two, or at most three turns and tie off.

STEP 7
Prepare your wings by taking two slips from paired woodcock wing feathers.

Then tie in. As always make sure the wings are parallel to the body.

Then trim the waste and form a small head.

STEP 8
Finally whipfinish and varnish for the completed fly.

Size 12 and 14 ?wee? doubles (I don?t have any 16?s left)

Wildfisher

Denis, this was one of the first flies I ever used as a boy in the 1960s. Our local tackle shop owner in Arbroath swore by it. I had forgotten all about it!

Ian_M

Nice step by step scotfly.  Like Fred this was a great favourite of mine (mainly the woodcock & yellow) but I can't remember the last time I fished it or, for that matter, tied one. Pity really it was a "killer" on Loch Leven.
Ian

haresear

The Woodcock and Mixed was a favourite of the late Bill McEwan, the Lomond sea trout and salmon angler.

It never did me any good on Lomond, but then again no fly did any good for me :(.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page