News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Brown Turkey

Started by scotfly, August 05, 2007, 01:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This was a favourite fly on many west coast rivers, like many though it is somewhat a forgotten fly today, and was a particular favourite of my dads and consequently I came to regard it as a favourite. You can tie this in a range of sizes from a number 10 trout hook to a 1/0 Double for salmon. The dressing given is the one I know best and taken from 200 popular flys by Tom Stewart.
I don?t have the recommended Cambridge Blue hackle (never have) but the pale blue shown is the one I have used and the fish have never minded.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK ? Black Japanned  #6
THREAD ? Black 6/0
RIB ? Flat Silver Tinsel
TAIL ? Golden Pheasants Tippets
BODY ? 1/3 Yellow, 1/3 Red and 1/3 Blue Seals Fur
HACKLE ? Blue
WING ? Brown Turkey

STEP 1
Attach the thread and wrap towards the tail. Catch in the rib, under the shank, as you go.

STEP 2
Continue wrapping towards the hook bend, catching in the tail, on top of the shank as you go.

STEP 3
Apply a generous amount of yellow dubbing to the thread and wrap to form the rearmost 1/3rd of the body.

Repeat with the Red.

Finally, repeat again with the blue.

After ribbing I like to give the fly a rub with Velcro.

STEP 4
Follow with the rib. As you can see I like quite a broad rib on this fly.

STEP 5
Tie in the hackle.

Then wrap and tie off.

STEP 6
Sweep the hackles down the side of the hook and take a couple of wraps to secure in this position.

STEP 7
After judging the wing for length, offer it up and tie in. As always, make sure the wing is parallel with the body.

STEP 8
Finally, after trimming the waste, form a neat head, whip finish and varnish for the completed fly.

Go To Front Page