News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Heron Herl Buzzer

Started by scotfly, August 19, 2007, 12:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is the Heron Herl Buzzer. This one has been responsible for a lot of fish for me over the years and after the video buzzer it?s probably my most productive buzzer. Originally it was tied using Heron Herl, hence the name, but for obvious reasons I use Grey Goose. Any similar grey feather will do though.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK ? Kamasan B420 (or similar sedge hook)
THREAD ? Black UTC 70
RIB ? Fine Silver Wire
BODY ? Grey Goose
WING BUDS ? White Biots
THORAX COVER ? Grey Goose
THORAX ? Orange Seals Fur

STEP 1
             Attach the thread and wrap down the body. Catch the rib in, under the hook shank, as you go.

STEP 2
            Take the thread round the bend, as shown, then back to the shoulder. Catch in 3 Herl fibres for the body on the way back up. After reaching the shoulder give the body a light smear of varnish.

STEP 3
           Wrap the Herl over the wet varnish to the shoulder and tie off.

STEP 4
           Follow with the rib.

STEP 5
            Take two white Biots and tie one in on each side as shown. The Biots have a concave and a convex side to them, the concave side is the side which goes against the body.

STEP 6
           Tie in 3 or 4 Herls on top of the hook as shown.

STEP 7
           Apply some dubbing to the thread and wrap to form the thorax.

STEP 8
            Pull the Herl fibres over the top and tie off at the eye, then whipfinish.

STEP 9
            Finally, trim the Biots at an angle as shown, on both sides. Then varnish the head for the completed fly.

Go To Front Page