News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Partridge and Orange

Started by scotfly, September 09, 2007, 01:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

In an other post I offered a way of using Partridge hackles that were too big for the given hook. I think the best way to show it is as part of a step by step. So this is it. This is a good way of using up all the Partridge (and other) feathers which are too big for normal use. The fly here is a variation of the famous Partridge and Orange. I have tied it ?Clyde? style. It is important that you do not use a ?bonded? thread such as UNI. It can be split, but it is extremely difficult. Here I have used UTC, but there are other suitable threads.
This is not a complete beginners sbs and is therefore not as detailed. Some knowledge is assumed, but if there is anything you don?t understand please ask.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers.

HOOK ? Kamasan B170 #16
THREAD ? Fluorescent Orange UTC70
RIB ? Dark Red Copper Wire
HACKLE ? Brown Partridge

STEP 1
Attach the thread and wrap approximately half way down the shank, catching the rib in under the shank as you go. Then wrap the thread back to the shoulder.

STEP 2
Follow with the rib and tie off.

STEP 3
Split the thread, making a loop. I find the best way to do this is to spin the bobbin anti-clockwise to take and twist out of the thread, then press your index finger against the back of the thread to flatten it, and finally use a needle to split it. Be careful you don?t stab yourself!

STEP 4
At this point I insert my dubbing needle into the loop to hold it open while I prepare the Partridge fibres.
Take a Partridge feather.

Strip the waste flue from it and pull the required amount of fibres out from the stem. Keep the tips aligned.

Then pull them away from the stem.

If you aligned the tips properly they should look like this.

STEP 5
I take the dubbing needle out of the loop now and replace it with one finger. Insert the fibres into the loop and remove your finger so that the loop closes and then pinch the loop below the hackles to hold it closed tight against the fibres.

Then carefully adjust for length by pulling the butts.

Finally when you are happy with the length, trim the butts close to the thread with sharp scissors.

STEP 6
Spin the bobbin clockwise which will flair the hackle fibres as shown.

STEP 7
Wrap the hackle ?rope? with each turn use your fingers to sweep the fibres back.

It should look something like this when you have completed wrapping.

STEP 8
Finally, form a neat head, whipfinish and varnish for the completed fly.

Although this looks a complicated method, it is actually quite quick and relatively easy to do.
It was however a difficult one to photograph!

Malcolm

Thanks Dennis,

Thats a technique I'll be using quite a lot.

I assume the reason you split the thread rather than inserting the fibres into two threads above a spinner is to save bulk?

Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Ian_M

Superb step by step, thanks for that.  These always encourage me (and I bet others) to go tie some flies.

Small flies look so clumsy with the full partridge hackle so i will be giving this a go but I bet it ain't easy (for me anyway)  :P
Ian

scotfly

Malcolm, Yes it saves bulk and you don't have to tie it off either.
Ian, it is actually quite easy. A little fiddly, but still easy.

Clan Ford

And so another winter project comes along......

Thanks Dennis :D

Norm

seamab

Keep the step by step photies / instructions coming, polishing down the vice as we speak, it's a long off season :(

murgord

Go To Front Page