News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

D.H.E

Started by scotfly, September 24, 2007, 01:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is Bob Wyatt?s DHE, I tie it slightly different to Bob?s instructions. I hope I?ve done it justice. I?ve done it here with natural Hare?s ear dubbing. You can of course use dyed Hare?s ear if you wish, or stripped peacock Herl.
When fishing this fly apply floatant to the thorax only. You want the abdomen to sink.
For the wing I?ve used Texas Whitetail Deer, you can also use Coastal Deer or similar.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers.

HOOK ? Kamasan B100 #16
THREAD ? Grey Roman Moser Power Silk
BODY ? Hare?s Ear
RIB ? Thread
WING ? Texas Whitetail Deer
THORAX ? Hare?s Ear

STEP 1
Attach the thread and wrap half way down the body and back to the point shown. Leave the tag, this will be used for the rib.

STEP 2
Tie the wing in leaving enough room for the thorax.

STEP 3
If you?re not confident doing this step this way just trim the butts as you normally would.
Because I?m using Power Silk I can really lay on the tension. As you can here. I?ve only done this pic to let you see.

If you do it this way you have to support the hook or you will bend or break it.

When you apply enough tension you will feel the silk slice through the butts.

Don?t worry about the step down here the hair is soft enough to compress allowing you to build a nice taper into it.

STEP 4
Take the thread back up in front of the wings and hold them back and build a bump of thread to hold the wing up.

STEP 5
Take the thread back down the body, well round the bend apply a pinch of dubbing to the thread.

Then wrap it to form the body.

STEP 6
Counter-wrap the thread tag up to rib the body, tying it off in front of the wing. Then apply another pinch of dubbing to the thread. I prefer to use a darker blend here.

STEP 7
Wrap to form the thorax, then whipfinish and varnish. Finally pick the dubbing out at the thorax for the completed fly.

scotfly

Power silk is not much thicker than 8/0, but it lies really flat. So bulk is not a problem with it, but it is also very slippery, so you have to be careful and make sure you tie it on very securely. As you can see above it will also slice through deer hair very easily you have to watch your tension when using it.
It's no use for muddlers though, it's too thin for that. For muddlers you need to use a heavier GSP Silk. Gudebrod and Lagurtun also make GSP Silk in 50 - 130 denier.
If you get some don't try to break it, you'll slice through your hand first!

Go To Front Page