News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Olive Paraloop Dun

Started by scotfly, October 11, 2007, 11:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is how I tie Ian Mouter?s Paraloop style flies. Like many styles it can be adapted to tie almost any type of fly. For the post you can use virtually anything. My two favourites are GSP thread and Flexi-floss, which I have used here. I tie mine slightly different to Mouter. In his books he uses two anchor points for the hackle post. One above the fly and one behind the fly? Too much footering about for me. My solution is to mount my gallows tool on a stem fixed into a vice base. This means I can simply move the base to any position I want.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK ? Kamasan B170 #14
THREAD ? Olive UTC 70
TAIL ? Dyed Olive Grizzle
BODY ? Olive Beaver Dubbing
RIB ? Thread
WING POST ? Flexi Floss
HACKLE ? Dyed Olive Grizzle
THORAX ? Olive Spectrablend

STEP 1
Attach the thread and wrap down the hook. Leave the tag to use as the rib later.

STEP 2
Tie in a small bunch of Hackle fibres for the tail.

STEP 3
Apply some dubbing to the thread and wrap to form the body.

STEP 4
Follow with rib.

STEP 5
Tie in a loop of Flexi-Floss.

STEP 6
Tie in the hackle.

STEP 7
Wrap the hackle up the post. The number of turns will depend on the size and type of paraloop you are tying. I have done four turns for this fly.

Then back down, finishing with the hackle tip as shown.

With your left hand sweep the hackle fibres back and tie the hackle off.

STEP 8
Trim the waste tip off and then compact the hackle by pulling (not too hard) the loop apart. This will force the hackle down. You can also help it by pushing it down with your fingers as well.

STEP 9
You can sweep the hackles back if you want a parachute style profile to the fly. Omit this step if you want some hackle tips to project below the fly.

STEP 10
Apply another pinch of dubbing to the thread.

Then wrap to form the thorax.

STEP 11
Remove the hackle from the gallows tool. The hackle is tied in securely so you don?t have to worry about keeping a tension on at this point.

Then pull it over the thorax and tie down at the eye.

I like to make two or three tight wraps. Pull tight on the tag as you tie it down, then lift the tag up and make one turn of thread under it.

Then pull it back down and make another couple of wraps, before trimming the waste.

STEP 12
Whipfinish and varnish for the completed fly.

Viewed from the front.

Above.

Below.

Ian_M

A work of art scotfly.  Maybe give this one a go during the long winter nights.
Ian

aliferste

Fantastic - i am going to be coming back to your instructions - very clear - lovely looking fly !

superscot

as a non flee maker ....just amazes me the time and effort that this guy puts into a post..Maybe something i should really take up during the cauld winter months

cheers 

Go To Front Page