News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

S & M

Started by scotfly, January 05, 2008, 04:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This fly was one of my submissions to a fly swap on another board. The theme of the swap was a hackled fly, but the hackle must not come from a bird! I have named it the S & M for obvious reasons. (No not that one!!)
The method of forming the hackle, although a bit fiddly is actually quite easy.

Instructions assume-right handed tyers

HOOK ? Kamasan B170  #16
SILK ? Pearsall?s Orange
BODY ? Touch Dubbed Mole Fur
HACKLE ? Fox Squirrel Back Fur

STEP 1
Attach the silk and wrap to the desired length. As you can see here I have tied this one ?Clyde? style. Also note the gap left at the eye for the hackle, this will help avoid bulk at the head.

STEP 2
              Apply a light coating of tacky wax to the thread then ?touch? dub it with mole fur.

Then wrap to form the lightly dubbed body.

STEP 3
            Prepare the fox squirrel by taking the pelt.

Use a bulldog clip to trap the some of the back fur. You can vary the amount of fur you trap according to the lightness or fullness of pattern you want.

Then cut the fur close to the skin.

Finally tease the under-fur out to leave the prepared hackle fibre.

STEP 4
           Spin the silk clock-wise and form a dubbing loop. (Anti-clockwise if you are using modern threads such as UTC, Bennechi, etc)

STEP 5
          Insert the prepared ?hackle? into the loop and release it from the clip. Hold the silk under tension just below the loop to hold the fibres in place.

If necessary adjust the fibres for length then carefully trim the butts close to the loop.

Finally, spin the bobbin anti-clockwise (clockwise for modern threads) to close the loop and flare the ?hackle?

STEP 6
           Hold the loop up and stroke the fibres back.

STEP 7
             Wind the hackle in close touching turns towards the eye, sweeping the fibres with each turn.

STEP 8
           Finally tidy everything up, whipfinish and varnish for the completed fly.

scotfly

Practise it is wee bri. 2 or 3 goes and you'll soon have it. You can also vary the density of hackle to suit.

Quote from: wee bri on January 06, 2008, 10:55:03 PM
Dennis, that imagery is fantastic.
I thought you were using rope to tie that fly until I went back to the beginning of the post and realised it was a size 16 hook you were tying to.

That's why I sometimes have to do a sbs 2 or 3 times. Fly looks great in the vice, stick it up on the screen and... :freeked or  :pat and sometimes  :roflmao Macro takes no prisoners!

Go To Front Page