News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Parachute Caddis Emerger

Started by scotfly, January 10, 2008, 11:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This pattern is a variation of Shane Stalcup?s Parachute Caddis Emerger. The original calls for ice dubbing, but I?ve used Z-lon. If you don?t have either anything similar will work equally well, such as Antron. In the original the body is Vinyl D-rib, I?ve used Swanundaze. Again, anything similar will work.
Alter the colours to suit.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers.

HOOK ? TMC2487  #12
THREAD ? Rusty Brown UTC70
SHROUD ? Yellow Z-Lon
BODY ? Yellow Swanundaze
WING POST ? Glo-Brite Fluorescent Multiyarn (#16 White)
WING ? Tan Medallion Sheeting
HACKLE ? Blue Dun Cock
THORAX ? Hare?s Ear Spectrablend

STEP 1
Attach the thread and wrap round the bend catching in the Z-Lon as you go.

STEP 2
Catch in the Swanundaze and tie down, taking the thread to the shoulder.

STEP 3
Wrap the Swunandaze and tie off at the shoulder.

STEP 4
Separate the Z-Lon and take half over the top of the fly and tie down at the shoulder. Don?t pull it tight, leave a little slack in it.

Repeat with the other half of the Z-Lon under the body.

STEP 5
Take a length of Multiyarn to form the wing post. Fold it round the thread then lift above the hook as shown.

Then, using the weight of the bobbin, lower it down on top of the hook.

Finally take a couple of wraps to secure it then lift both ends up and wrap round them to form the wing post.

STEP 6
Cut a length of the medallion sheeting approximately 2in long and 2/3rd the width of the hook gape.

Tie this in to the right of the wing post with a couple of figure of eight wraps. Like a spent wing.

Then fold it to the rear so that it  lies as shown and over-wrap with thread working back towards the body.

Then trim the wing as shown.

STEP 7
Mount the hackle as shown with the inner (concave) side facing up.

For extra security you can fold the hackle stem back as shown and tie down.

STEP 8
Take the thread back to the body and apply a pinch of dubbing to it.

Then wrap back to the eye to form the thorax.

STEP 9
Wrap the parachute hackle.

Finishing in the position shown with the final turn of hackle.

Sweep the hackle fibres back out of the way.

Then take the thread over the hackle tip as shown, trapping the tip between the thread and the hook shank.

Make further wraps to secure.

STEP 10
Still holding the fibres back make a whipfinish, then  tease the fibres back into position.
Finally, trim the wing post to length and varnish the head for the completed fly.

Wildfisher

That looks deadly. I like that method of creating translucency in the body. Must try that on other flies.

scotfly

It certainly looks the part Fred. Whether it will be as effective as I hope we'll have to wait and see, I've never fished it before.
The shrouded body is a technique most famously used in Gary LaFontaine's Sparkle Emerger.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Allan Liddle on January 11, 2008, 03:06:18 PM
Would be a belter of a Cow Dung imitation i bet

Yes indeed. Last summer on Loch na Sealga there was a big fall of them when we were up  there and I'll bet that fly would have worked very well in olive or rusty brown

Go To Front Page