News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Blue Peter Ross

Started by scotfly, February 12, 2008, 08:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

Peter Ross, one of the classic flies of our time. It is of course named after its originator, Tam McDonald Peter Ross.
I have chosen to demo this fly for two reasons. The first is to help Fred get over his irrational fear of this fly  :lol: and the second is to show you an alternative method of winging with teal to the one shown in the Teal Winged Butcher  The method shown here is the method I normally use. This is a variation with a blue hackle replacing the standard black hackle.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers.

HOOK ? Kamasan B175 # 12
THREAD ? Black UTC70
TAIL ? Golden Pheasant Tippets
REAR BODY ? Flat Silver Tinsel
FRONT BODY ? Red Seals Fur
RIB ? Silver Oval
HACKLE ? Dyed Blue Hen
WING ? Barred Teal

STEP 1
               Attach the thread and make about 5 turns of thread. This is to allow enough room for the wing and head.

STEP 2
            Prepare and tie in the hackle.

STEP 3
            Tie in the rib.

STEP 4
            Tie in the tails. Note I have trimmed the tail butts long to accommodate the tinsel part of the body.

STEP 5
             Tie in the tinsel for the rear body, taking the thread to the mid point on the shank. You can. If you wish, vary the proportion of the rear to front body.

STEP 6
            Wrap the tinsel and tie off.

STEP 7
              Apply a pinch of seals fur to the thread. Don?t overdo the dubbing! I?ve seen too many Peter Ross?s ruined by over-dubbing.

Then wrap to form the front body.

STEP 8
           Wrap the rib over both parts of the body and tie off.

STEP 9
           Wrap the hackle and tie off.

Sweep the fibres down the side and secure with a couple of wraps.

STEP 10
             Prepare the wing by taking a teal breast feather and gently sweep the fibres back to expose the tip.

Snip the tip out.

Then draw the fibres back to their normal position and your wing is read to tie in.

STEP 11
               Tie the wing in using the normal pinch and loop method.

STEP 12
              Trim the waste, form a neat head, whipfinish and varnish for the completed fly.

STEP 13
                      Below are just a few of the many variations. Since doing this sbs I've have been told that the Gold Peter Ross is actually called the Mrs Ross. Thank you Mr Liddle  8)

Wildfisher

Bloody hell, a teal blue and silver with a red bit...................  :D

Go To Front Page