News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Grey Monkey

Started by scotfly, February 20, 2008, 10:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

I cannot sing the praises of this wet fly enough, it is quite simply the best. The only wet fly which comes near or equals it, for me, is the Mallard and Claret. It is an excellent Seatrout and Brown trout fly. Try it, I promise you won?t be disappointed! (Famous last words) I don?t know who invented it or what it is supposed to imitate, I only know how well it works.
The original dressing called for Grey Monkey fur, hence the name, but I don?t believe Cookshill has any at the moment. The stated substitutes are plain grey wool or grey Seals Fur, I?ve used Seal?s Fur.
The wing can be any grey feather such as Widgeon, Mallard or Starling in the smaller sizes.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK ? Wet Fly #10
THREAD ? Black 6/0
TAIL ? A Few Barred Teal Fibres
RIB ? Fine Oval Silver
REAR  BODY ? Gold Coloured Floss
FRONT BODY ? Grey Seal?s Fur
HACKLE ? Blue Dun Hen
WING ? Mallard
CHEEKS ? Jungle Cock.

STEP 1
Attach the thread and tie in the hackle.

STEP 2
Catch in the rib and wrap to the point shown.

STEP 3
With the first turn of thread back up the body catch in the tail fibres.

STEP 4
Continue wrapping to the mid point and catch in the floss for the rear body.

Then wrap the floss to the tail and back to the midpoint before tying off.

STEP 5
Apply a pinch of dubbing to the thread.

Then wrap to  form the front body.

STEP 6
Rib the whole body and tie off.

STEP 7
Wrap the hackle and tie off. Then sweep the fibres down the sides and secure in this position with a couple of thread wraps.

STEP 8
Select, prepare and measure the wings, then tie in.

STEP 9
Tie in the Jungle Cock cheeks, one on each side.

STEP 10
Form a neat head, whipfinish and varnish for the completed fly which has few, if any, serious rivals.

Incase you were wondering? This fly is very much a favourite of mine!

Wildfisher

Quote from: Sandfly on February 21, 2008, 01:14:48 AM
Funny I have a couple in one of my boxes but have not used them for years .

Same here. Weird eh? It is a great fly Fashions change?

The General

Hello
Cannot remember if I asked this before but I meant too.  I used to have senior moments but now suffer badly from
CRAFT syndrome.
What lighting do you use to take the photies of the flys?

Davie

Crawhin

Ditto here - a couple stuck in the back of a box as they're such a nice looking pattern that it seemed a shame to dismantle and re-use the hooks but somehow never found a suitable opportunity to fling one out in recent years. Looking again at the pattern though you can see how it would be a great general purpose type flee tied slim, sparse and nymphy in small sizes.  8) 2008 could be the year of the grey monkey rather than the rat!?  :lol:  

Ian

scotfly

Quote from: The General on February 21, 2008, 09:56:30 AM
What lighting do you use to take the photies of the flys?

3 lights. One above and one on each side.
Manual colour balance.

The General

Thank you very much.   Any chance of a photo of your set up please and what type of bulbs/lights you use?
I am amazed at the positioning and clarity of the flies you photograph and would like to give it a try.  I have
always had trouble with winging flies and avoid these which I know is wrong.  Yours are exceptional and do not
"lump" ahead of the eye as mine certainly do.

Davie

scotfly

Next time I do an sbs I'll take a pic of the set-up to let you see.
The lights are ... daylight simulation bulb (above) My normal tying lamp. Halogen bulbs on the right and left. Very much a Blue Peter set-up, but it gives pretty good results.
The most important point is setting the colour balance

The General

Thank you Dennis
I reread your article on tying wings and a fundemental error I have been making is that after doing the loop and tightening
I have then put the next tying towards the rear of the fly instead of the front so back to the practice.
Gerald of Artifly came round to my house and taught me the rudimetarys of tying deer hair and it certainly
hammers home the technique actually witnessing it and getting the wee tips that you might not necessarily get
in the written description.

Davie

Go To Front Page